[Cin] Variable bitrate file processing problems

Good Guy good1.2guy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 15:49:38 CEST 2019

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

I loaded the vid.mp4 file on my system and it seems to work as it should.
This means I don't have a way to debug the problem.  If it works here, I
can't fix it.  I need a way to produce the problem so I can fix it.

On my system, the timeline thumbnails are all drawn, but not in your
img.png,
The view loads and plays the media, and the audio is decoded and plays.
The only thing that was unusual was that the framerate was 19.8333, but it
plays audio and video synchronously, so it does not seem to cause a problem.

The asset info detail menu shows:

file path: /tmp/vid.mp4
  94650090 bytes
info:
format: mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2

1 video stream
vid0 (0),  id 0x00001b:
  video1 h264 1920x1080 19.83 pix yuvj420p
    745+0 frms 37.56 secs  0:00:37.56

1 audio stream
aud0 (1),  id 0x015002:
  audio1-2 aac fltp 48000 0bits
    1803236+0 smpl 37.57 secs  0:00:37.57

major_brand=mp42
minor_version=0
compatible_brands=isommp42
creation_time=2019-07-26T13:28:21.000000Z
com.android.version=7.0

This loads and plays.  The media seems undamaged on my system.

The wave display (in img.png) in the main window timeline shows that
at least the audio was decoded.  This means that the file format
and audio codecs probed correctly, and that the audio decoder
works even though you cannot hear it.  I suspect the sound device
or audio driver setup needs attention.  Check Settings->Preferences
for the *Playback A Audio Out setup.  I attached a scrngrab of my
playback prefs for comparision.

I was not able to get the timeline thumbnails to fail.  The usual
reason that the timeline redraw is damaged like this is that the
media does not support seeking, not all media supports seeking...
but in the sample you provided restarts playback at any point
on the timeline, so seeking seems to work for this sample.
Zooming the timebar (up/dn arrow keys on the timeline) causes
new thumbnails to be created correctly (uses seeking) as well.

An easy way to check setup changes is to start cinelerra using:
CIN_CONFIG=/tmp/bcast5 /<path>/cin
and open the media file without reconfiguring anything.
This uses all defaults, and not modify your normal .bcast5 config.

The Audio Driver selection normaly works well with Alsa "default",
but does also work with direct Alsa interfaces (Device: pulldown menu).
I have not tried OSS recently, and I do not have any of the other
legacy sound boards so I cannot test them. On my system, I can get
my "Syba 7.1 Surround Sound #0" running "16 bit", but that takes a
kernel mod.  It is my experience that it is rare for Alsa to fail.

If possible, create a /tmp/bcast5 using the above method, and send
a tarball of this directory to me.  I can use it to create a more
complete setup to retest the problem.

gg
Attached: vid.png