[Cin] Observations using GPU on DNxHD and MPEG proxy while running CinelerraGG

Pierre autourduglobe p.autourduglobe at gmail.com
Thu May 16 20:01:56 CEST 2019

Hi IgorBeg,

Until recently I also had the same feeling as you that my little video
card was powerful enough for linux editing.

In any case, few Linux software seems to really take advantage of the
real potential power of really powerful external video cards.

I don't use Blender, it doesn't match my type of activity. So the Cuda
cores unfortunately seem very useless to me with all the current Linux
editing software.

I think the only characteristics of video cards that currently count
under Linux are their raw computing speed, their amount of memory, the
number of bits processed (64, 128, 192, 256, 320...) and finally their
bandwidth in GB/s. These features have an impact on the performance of
these cards under Linux as well.

Until now I have always chosen Nvidia cards because for equal
performance I found that it consumed less electricity, so required a
less powerful power supply and above all, allowed me to have a computer
that generated less heat.

If my video card is still sufficient for my needs, I will not change it.

If I have to change it, I will carefully re-evaluate my choice between
Nvidia and AMD.

I have always preferred to buy cheaper cards, which only satisfied my
foreseeable needs in the medium term, rather than seeking to buy in
advance, a very expensive card, so I would only risk being able to use
the total power much later, at a time when cards with identical
characteristics would then sell at a much lower price.

Pierre