[Cin] Latex and Manual

Marco Ciampa ciampix at posteo.net
Thu Oct 10 10:22:20 CEST 2019

Hi people,
I am a lurker in this ml, I am sorry, I also am not really a cinelerra
user but I do like _very much_ the project, the spirit, the people.

To cut through the chase I want to contribute somehow with a suggestion.

Here is my 2 cents: I see you talk about Latex because you seem to use it
as a doc tool for cinelerra. I am sorry but I do not think that Latex is
really a good language to write docs apart from math books.

I mean that now there are better laguages that permits to write docs in
an easier way. An easier way means also that you can attract more
contributions, make more powerful conversions, manage translations in a
more easier/more manageable way ... and so on.

What am I talking about? I am talking about lightweight markup languages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_markup_language

I am sure you know already at least a couple of them.

One of my favourite is asciidoc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AsciiDoc
https://asciidoctor.org/docs/what-is-asciidoc/

For many reasons I think Asciidoc is the best markup language for docs.

It is easy. It is readable. It is complete. It is standard (it in an
advanced stardardization stage). It is implemented in many languages,
currently python, ruby, javascript and java. The ruby version through the
asciidoctor compiler being the most advanced and most actively developed
and the python version still the most used...

Example of users of asciidoc are:

- github, which uses asciidoctor to render in real time docs committed
  to its git repos

- the git manual, the kicad manual (which I am partly responsible for)
  and many, many others, see: Who's Using Asciidoctor?
  https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor.org/issues/270

Through the po4a tool it is easy to create, and most importantly manage,
automatically updated multilanguage versions of the docs. See for example:

(on the upper right side of the page you can switch the docs language...)
http://docs.kicad-pcb.org/

Let me know if you want to know more about it...

--

Best regards,
Marco Ciampa

 GNU/Linux User #78271