[Cin] July monthly builds available BUT lots of clean up still..

Sam cinelerra at posteo.de
Sat Aug 1 22:02:49 CEST 2020

Am 01.08.20 um 21:37 schrieb Terje J. Hanssen via Cin:

>> Tumbleweed (Leap-ish) may be eliminated next month because it is very
>> time-consuming to upgrade this Operating System every month since it
>> is not a distro that we use on a daily basis.  It has been a problem
>> every month; for example 2,000 packages had to be updated for it
>> between June 29 and July 29 and then it did not work correctly.
>> Instead we ended up doing a brand new install which also took a lot
>> of time (about 4 hours).  So unless we get feedback that it is worth
>> the time, it will be dropped.
>
> openSUSE Tumbleweed is a rolling developement release, which is
> constantly updated and always at the 'latest release'
> So I aggree to concentrate the Cinelerra builts on the maintained,
> regular and stable production platform Leap, currently 15.1 and 15.2
> (next 15.3 expected June 2021). And I really hope also Cinelerra10bit
> will be continued ;)

As a long-time OpenSUSE user and who also used Tumbleweed for a year, I
can only recommend focusing on the stable branch. Tumbleweed is changing
too much. As a result, my system has often been broken. For this reason,
I have switched back to the more stable Leap branch and do not regret
this step in any way.

I think that we are well advised to create Cinelerra only for the stable
Leap branch, because problems with a rolling release operating system
are not uncommon. Our resource management strategy requires careful
consideration, so I think we could focus our resources on more important
tasks. Therefore I can agree with the previous speakers.

Sam