[Cin] July upgrade on openSUSE Leap 15.2

Terje J. Hanssen terje at nordland-teknikk.no
Sat Aug 1 22:58:03 CEST 2020

Den 01.08.2020 22:12, skrev Phyllis Smith via Cin:
> Terje, sorry for the late reply but all of my Cinelerra email went to
> Spam today and then finally about 20 minutes ago I received an email
> talking about your earlier email that I did not see.  Actually, I
> thought I had the day off when I had zero email this morning but no
> such luck now that I have moved my Spam to the inbox.
>
>     Repository 'cingg' is invalid.
>     [cingg|https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/pkgs/leap15/] Repository
>     type
>     can't be determined.
>     Please check if the URIs defined for this repository are pointing
>     to a
>     valid repository.
>
> OK, we knew we were going to have problems with Leap because we had to
> keep 15.1 and now had to add 15.2 so both could not be called Leap15.
> We thought it preferable to have everyone get an error, rather than
> the users who still had Leap 15.1 be confused and end up with 15.2 or
> vice versa.  I do not know how long 15.1 will be around but End of
> Life is November 2020.  Sorry for this confusion.  I am in the process
> of correcting the Download web page.
>

>     Then I changed the repo uri to
>
>     [cingg|https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/pkgs/leap15.2/
>
>     and got Cinerelerra upgraded to the quite new July version.
>
> We had hoped most users would figure this out, just like you did ! Is
> this a little unusual for Leap?  We thought that Leap 15 would just be
> updated as a single entity so that it started out as Leap 15-0 and
> then Leap 15-1 is a simple update as would be 15-2.  But it turns out
> that 15-2 seems to be at a different kernel version level.  Leap is
> kind of different than the other distros and gives us a lot of
> problems quite frequently.
>

>     However the 10-bit version is not yet available:
>
> We will have to add that as we did not know whether to keep 15.1 at
> 10-bit or not.  Now we know, so thanks for the information. I will let
> you know when GG does that.
>

>     I hope the previous common /Leap uri and 10-bit version will be
>     available next?
>
> I do not quite understand what you mean by "the previous common /Leap
> uri" but I think you mean "Leap15" -- as explained earlier, I think we
> can not do that -- especially since you say 15.3 will be coming out in
> June 2021 and End of Life for 15.2 is after that on December 2021.  Is
> there a problem splitting to Leap15.1 and Leap15.2?  We have had to do
> that over time for Debian and Ubuntu since we started making builds.

Phyllis,
No problem, on the contrary :) I suggest also splitted repo url for each
Leap point release 15.1, 15.2 and next, because this is the usual way
all other system repos on Leap are used. Often I also just change the
url repo-list from 15.1 to 15.2 before a Leap system upgrade.

It is not so important, but as a reference we had a related discussion
earlier regarding Cin for Leap 15.0 vs Leap 15.1 and the "common"
Leap15/ repo url:
https://lists.cinelerra-gg.org/pipermail/cin/2019-June/000833.html

Terje