[Cin] CUDA test

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 17:36:46 CET 2020

So glad you were able to get Cuda working as it helps to verify that it can
work somewhere besides on our computer !

I will have to get GG to clarify nvenc usage but if you look at the
terminal window error messages when you do NOT have cuda installed and try
to render using h264/5_nvenc.mp4 you see this error message:
     [h264_nvenc @ 0x7ffeec0db1c0] *Cannot load libcuda*.so.1
so it must be required by Nvidia somehow.

The following is so true but if there is anyone in a university setting
doing fluid dynamics problems, it could prove useful:
    "the use of Cuda is not going to improve the playing and rendering of
video in Cinelerra except in the case where you use a specific Cuda-enabled
plugin that is computationally intense – sadly, most of what Cin does, Cuda
will not help."

I will incorporate your suggested changes into the manual -- that is, for
example, what you stated wrote:
   "I propose to modify the manual indicating that the default flag is set
to "auto"; while if we want to compile with cuda we must add the
"--with-cuda" flag. I also propose to change "setenv ..." to "env ...".

OK, I will change this -- it is the render time that is the gain;  disk
space is inexpensive these days:
   "I suggest changing the preset to high or similar. Also the rendering
time does not vary much when set to much higher quality (qp=20) even if the
file gets much bigger."

That is as far as I got into your pdf file -- stopped at Cuda Plugins which
Bill will have to help figure out.  Also, I will ask him about Mandelbrot
because I think there may be some "trick" to it.  Hopefully, I will have
time to digest the rest later today.  Thanks, gg/Phyllis