[Cin] Render farm - client nvenc and main none, can this work?

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 11:23:14 CEST 2020

I've been using cinelerra for years with software encoding. The size of my
projects has never been big enough for this to be a problem (just render
over lunch break). My machine is an ultrabook with
 a 1.8GHz i7 8th gen quad-core chip (so 8 threads) and a dinky MX150 nvidia
card (no nvenc).

Recently however the render times have been becoming a problem. Also, I now
have a second machine (desktop) with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and an nVidia
1660. I've set up renderfarming and it seems to work fine (my one and a
half hour render is down to half an hour). Now I'm wondering whether that
nice graphics card can be used (without me having to actually sit at the
desktop, I'd much rather work/edit on my ultrabook with all its attached
monitors) for editing.

It seems whether nvenc gets used depends on whether I select h264-nvenc (or
h265-nvenc) on the main machine, but obviously I can't do that on this
particular main machine.

Is there a way to get this to work, or am I forced to choose between
software renderfarm and single-machine nvenc (in my specific situation, I'm
assuming that if I had two nvenc-capable machines this would work fine). Or
is there some cuda-related speed up I could use?