[Cin] arm/disarm track confusion

Igor BEGHETTO igorbeg at visi1.org
Mon Aug 9 09:20:08 CEST 2021

Ohoo my God!

AndrePaz wrote:
> Moreover, if we
> want to implement the standard behavior of Cinerella, so that an
> unarmed track is never modified whether it is visible or not, we must
> be sure that it is a separate function from the current Gang modes,
> creating a new type of gang and explaining very well its function,
> because the risk of confusion is great and the subject is already
> complicated.
AndreaPaz, it sound strange to me you are speaking so.
If an User want the Cinelerra-GG standard behaviour for the
Armed/Disarmed track She/He can use GANG None!
No separateor new function is needed because it is already there: GANG
None. And in the Manual_20210731 section 5.2.1 (Displaying tracks:
Ganged mode) is written very well:
*1. Gang None: this is the default mode and is the traditional way
Cinelerra operates. If you never toggle the "Gang Tracks" button,
everything operates normally as it always has.*
For default a new user will find Cinelerra-GG in "Gang None" mode. If an
User press the GANG button (and other buttons) without reading the
Manual and without know what She/He am doing, I am sorry, Cinelerra-GG
is not for you.

I use all the GANG modes for save space and other, without any problem.
May be my workflow is different from yours.

Andrew_R wrote:
> yes, and then try to play with new preference in  .bcast5/Cinelerra_rc:
> ARMED_IN_GANG_MODE 0
> .... there is no propagation to preferences currently, but if you or
> someone else thinks such 'mode 4' can be useful I'll monkey around in
> code some more...

I hope NO. Here, both Andrew_R and AndreaPaz, you are messing things up
(I hope the English traduction is right).
Pleeease, don't touch things that works very well. Thank you!

Andrew_R wrote:
> may be it can be done.. you mean just gang (link) mode between all
> edits on video + all edits on few selectable audio tracks? so you can
> move them as group AND  this group become immune to media/clip insert
> and immune to its  components sliding around in this mode? or
> something else?

It is already there! You can move more tracks together Arming that tracks!
You can see it at
http://www.visi1.org/cinelerra-gg_tutorials#ReArrangeTracksOrder
If you want to group the edits in different track it is written very
well in the Manula_20210731, section 5.5.4  (Grouping edits) and so on.
You can see that at
http://www.visi1.org/cinelerra-gg_tutorials#DragAndDropEditing (old
video tutorial).

I think that many of you read the Manual but many don't. An User who
want to use Cinelerra-GG or Cinelerra MUST READ the manua! The community
will help in the forum or other places. There is no point in changing
the code when it works fine! Or add a no sense function!

Sorry for that long sentences. I think so. I think I'll get out of this
discussion.
Thanks!

IgorBeg