[Cin] arm/disarm track confusion

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 00:08:37 CEST 2021

On Sunday, August 8, 2021, Andrea paz <gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll try to summarize the situation for the little I remember (correct
> me if I'm wrong): those who work with audio always have to deal with a
> very large number of tracks that make it difficult to display on the
> timeline. Glen requested (BT#433) a feature to tie the tracks
> (channels) into a single line (track). Ardour does it using only one
> line (track) for the "n" channels; instead in Cinelerra each channel
> is an independent track. GG came up with the usual ingenious (original
> and complicated!) idea of Master/Slave tracks and Gang modes. I had
> hoped that it would become a way to link video tracks with their audio
> tracks, so that sync would not be lost during editing, but it was not
> possible!

may be it can be done.. you mean just gang (link) mode between all edits on
video + all edits on few selectable audio tracks? so you can move them as
group AND  this group become immune to media/clip insert and immune to its
components sliding around in this mode? or something else?

>  If we are talking about Gang modes then we are talking about
> audio tracks and in this case the behavior is different from the
> Cinelerra standard: the slaves (hidden) tracks undergo the same
> editing as the master track regardless of whether they are armed or
> disarmed (BT#577).
> I, who don't do audio mixing/editing, find it antintuitive, because
> I'm used to Cinelerra's std behavior, but it's actually the normal
> behavior of DAWs that group the various channels in a line and it
> doesn't make sense to think of them as some armed and some not.
> Perhaps this should be explained better in the manual. Moreover, if we
> want to implement the standard behavior of Cinerella, so that an
> unarmed track is never modified whether it is visible or not, we must
> be sure that it is a separate function from the current Gang modes,
> creating a new type of gang and explaining very well its function,
> because the risk of confusion is great and the subject is already
> complicated.
> Patches 1 and 2 are great because they simply add the ability to use
> In/Out points with "Attach effects". Patches 3, 0004 and 0005 (I
> haven't tried this one yet) should be part of a new Gang mode (Gang
> arm? Gang Cin? Gang Std?).

yeah, I had same idea back in time, it seems! but without any code to back
my words... now at least I have some code for starting.

> PS: I tried to put the 0005 patch without recompiling, but I don't see
> any difference. Do I need to recompile?

yes, and then try to play with new preference in  .bcast5/Cinelerra_rc:

ARMED_IN_GANG_MODE 0

0 is default and sets behavior as described in manual

1 (or any non-0) forces at least effect  inserts to respect armed/unarmed
state even in gang modes media and channel. (but because this is generic
code other actions also should now respect  armed/unarmed state)

there is no propagation to preferences currently, but if you or someone
else thinks such 'mode 4' can be useful I'll monkey around in code some
more...