[Cin] Backup in CinGG

Andrea paz gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 09:52:01 CET 2021

I was thinking of adding a section in the manual about how backup
works in CinGG.
Please correct me if I am wrong:
if I don't enable the new option (default), a backup is created at
each editing action (see below the list of actions suggested by
Andràs) but this overwrites the previous backup.prev so in .bcast5
there will be only one backup file (plus backup.xml whose function I
don't understand). The same when we manually create a backup via File
--> save backup. When we make a File --> Load backup, in addition to
bring on the timeline the backup.prev we also create a new
backup.prev.

If I enable "Autosaves continuous backups" the backup.prev file is not
overwritten, but a new backup.prev_xxxxxxxx_xxxxxx (with data and
clock time) is created. These are small files so their number is not a
problem. In any case when you exit CinGG the various backups are
deleted except for the last 50, which will still be available at the
next restart. The new option is put in Settings --> Preferences -->
Appearance Tab under the Dangerous section because if you have a crash
or anyway you don't exit CinGG correctly, the delete phase doesn't
happen and the risk is the increase of the backup files inside .bcast5
but, as said, their size is very small and so not a big problem.
With this option enabled, how does File --> save/load backup work?
Is there anything I didn't understand? Is there anything to add?

There are a few parts where save_backup() is called (Reuss Andràs):

cinelerra/cwindowgui.C:2
cinelerra/swindow.C:1
cinelerra/keyframepopup.C:2
cinelerra/pluginpopup.C:1