[Cin] Release of CinGG

MatN mnieuw at zap.a2000.nl
Tue Jan 5 23:19:04 CET 2021

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 09:01:23 -0700
Phyllis Smith via Cin <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org> wrote:

> This might be a good solution to create tar files which is easy to do
> and easy to install for the user.  I think that creating packages is
> not that difficult either but I do not know for sure.   With few
> changes being implemented, making new builds semi-annually would most
> likely be sufficient.
>
> I am still trying to understand appimage and flatpak usage but as far
> as I can tell, it only makes it easier for the user.  The
> developer/programmer still has to create the runtime.
>
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 12:56 AM Andrea paz via Cin <
> cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org> wrote:
>
> > About the forum post:
> >
> > https://www.cinelerra-gg.org/forum/everything-else/single-user-builds/#post-1468
> >
> > You could try to create your own binary, each for your own distro,
> > and then make it available. Is this feasible? I would need detailed
> > instructions, because I don't know how to do it!
> > --

AppImage will be far smaller than a flatpack. I use AppImages of Musescore, FreeCad,
texstudio, balenaetcher. I have experimentally built a
Cin-GG AppImage in 2019. https://www.cinelerra-gg.org/bugtracker/view.php?id=261
It more or less ran.

To do it properly, it probably requires to define a new "platform" AppImage, to make
sure all required libraries are taken into the build. I still have the templates I
used then, if anyone who can build a binary want to try it let me know, because
although the building tool will pull in any missing libraries, those are the ones
of the building platform.

MatN