[Cin] Some possible thirdparty updates I noticed

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 19:55:07 CET 2021

Andrew-R et al,
FFmpeg is good to keep up to date for sure.

But... please refer to section B.4 for more details about upgrading 3rd
party libraries.  Here is a summary though:

> CINELERRA-GG attempts to upgrade to the latest releases of many thirdparty
> libraries about every 3-4 months. But it is often difficult to keep some of
> thesethirdparty libraries up to date as their developers switch from tried
> and true standard tools to newer, less standard tools. As a result in order
> to build CINELERRA-GG on 2-3 versions of any distro rather than only the
> most current version, some third-party libraries can not be kept up to date
> and may even be to the point of no furthe rupdates. In a lot of cases, the
> updated releases provide little new capabilities but rather are bug fixes
> that may not even be relevant to CINELERRA-GG’s use.

Biggest problem can be on the older distros, like maybe Ubuntu 16, and with
little used packages such as OpenEXR, wepb, libaom, libvpx, x10tv, OpenCV,
and Dav1d.  I would hate to see users with older distros prevented from
using CinelerraGG.  I would not update any of these but users who really
want them can do their own builds as recommended in section B.4.