[Cin] my rendering is really slow

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 18:02:54 CEST 2021

On Sunday, July 18, 2021, gorge rankin via Cin <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>
wrote:

> Hello, just some feedback on my investigation.

thanks for digging & repirting back!

> I've discovered that if I use mpeg color range instead of YUV, my speed to
> render out to yuv420p/nvenc are same as shotcut (for reference purposes).
> Near realtime (10 sec video renders in 10 seconds with no edits).   Colors
> of output video seem to be same as input.  I've been using kcolorchooser
> and I cant find a diff.
>
> I see in the manual, that 'mpeg' offers less color range than jpeg, but my
> outputs look just like my input videos.  If there is a difference, I
> certainly cannot see it.

i think mpeg4/h264 use same limited (mpeg) color range, so nothing to loose
from default already  compressed in h264 input...

> However, the speed only holds if I use 60fps video or less. Making color
> changes, brightness, zoom all seem to be reasonable and on par to what I'm
> used to seeing in shotcut.
>
> However, if my source material is over 60 FPS , the speed of encoding
> significantly drops off for something as simple as "trim".

does plain ffmpeg/shotcut encode such files better (faster) with same
nvenc?

> Going forward, I can convert my sources in ffmpeg, no biggie.  I'll have
> to keep my sources tho for future 'just in case'.
>
> Attached is a photo of my settings that I'm using for OBS and cin with
> nvenc for going forward.

thanks, it seems current nvenc might have some not-so-obvious limitations,
might be worth mentioning in manual (with hw description and driver
version)