[Cin] my rendering is really slow

gorge rankin nonoobspam at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 13:03:27 CEST 2021

Hello, just some feedback on my investigation.

I've discovered that if I use mpeg color range instead of YUV, my speed to
render out to yuv420p/nvenc are same as shotcut (for reference purposes).
Near realtime (10 sec video renders in 10 seconds with no edits).   Colors
of output video seem to be same as input.  I've been using kcolorchooser
and I cant find a diff.

I see in the manual, that 'mpeg' offers less color range than jpeg, but my
outputs look just like my input videos.  If there is a difference, I
certainly cannot see it.

However, the speed only holds if I use 60fps video or less. Making color
changes, brightness, zoom all seem to be reasonable and on par to what I'm
used to seeing in shotcut.

However, if my source material is over 60 FPS , the speed of encoding
significantly drops off for something as simple as "trim".

Going forward, I can convert my sources in ffmpeg, no biggie.  I'll have to
keep my sources tho for future 'just in case'.

Attached is a photo of my settings that I'm using for OBS and cin with
nvenc for going forward.

[image: my-cin-setup-for-obs-videos.png]