[Cin] possible cinepack profile speedup

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 18:36:14 CEST 2021

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, Phyllis Smith via Cin <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>
wrote:

> Andrew, ok thank you.  It does not look like ffmpeg 4.4 is going to make
> it in this month.
> I am going to create new AppImages tomorrow because of the gang bug which
> is  too serious and has no workaround.

no problems, I looked at bdwrite but it demands root and I am not yet root
on this tablet. m2ts was created still... so, does this 'cut tail with ff
4.4 bug' exist for you in all resolutions/framerates as allowed by bd
creation window?

> also added two old (1996/8) h263 codecs - it theory they should be good
>> for low-cpu decoding (on emulated computers for example), but apparently
>> h263 without 'p' only good at few pre-defined resolutions?
>>
> Did not even know h263 existed.  I will test today since it is something I
> can actually do!
>

>> sorry for not making progress on more important issues - I fiddled around
>> with overlayframe.h - but I can't see my addons working? Either bug in code
>> or I translated those blend modes wrongly..
>>
> No problem, everyone should just work on what is fun and interesting for
> them.  This bug has workarounds
> that are usable but tedious so we will have to tolerate that and it has
> existed for a long time.
>

>> there also two ffmpeg-4.4 patches recently added to git - they apply with
>> patch -p1 yet not with git apply patch (misformatted patch).. Adds avc
>> intra 300/480 if compiled against last x264 (15 june 2021)
>>
> For some reason, I did not make the connection that the new x264 required
> ffmpeg 4.4 and I tried to  upgrade
> to it yesterday.  But IMPORTANT QUESTION, the "stable" version, which is
> what we have always used in the past
> is dated around June 13th.  Would it not be better to continue that policy
> instead of using June 15?   See
> attached and note the box in upper left hand corner saying "stable".

in theory stable should provide stable(ish) api, but I just wanted to see
if I can make this feature (new avcintra modes) works here..

I think even ff-4.3 should be compatible with new x264, but w/o new
features...

of course you can check out stable branch of x264... and test with
this/ff-4.3 instead... I just  jump ahead of locomotive sometimes