[Cin] AppImage and Desktop Integration with an app launcher

Andrea paz gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com
Wed May 12 13:31:57 CEST 2021

> Is this procedure for Gnome or for another desktop environment?

Sorry, I use KDE and didn't know that in Gnome you couldn't do it.
I found this plugin x Nautilus that looks convenient and easy to use:

florian-diesch.de/software/arromax/

But I've seen that it has only .deb packages and so you'll have to
compile the source yourself.

Always for Ubuntu (I don't know if it's ok for OpenSuse) you can
create a script manually. In the Desktop you create the launcher file,
for example:

CinGG.desktop

whose content is:

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open (this path is good for Ubuntu, I don't know if
it changes in OpenSuse)

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=true (or "false" if you don't want a terminal window to open
automatically as well)
Exec=/path/to/cin_for_newer_distros.AppImage
Name=CinGG (or whatever you want to call it....)
Comment= (if you want to add your comment)
Icon=path/to/cingg-icon

Remember to make the appimage executable with:

chmod +x cin_for_newer_distros.AppImage

At this point, simply double-click on the CinGG.desktop icon to launch it.

When a new appimage comes up you just have to replace its name in
"Exec=..." row.