[Cin] arm emulation on qemu links

mnieuw at zap.a2000.nl mnieuw at zap.a2000.nl
Thu Nov 11 23:54:30 CET 2021

Andrew, thanks for the links. I followed mostly the procedure of
the DVD:
https://blog.lazym.io/2021/04/16/Run-ARM-MIPS-Debian-on-QEMU/

Still, it took almost 2 hours until it was finished, that was after
downloading the ISO. Host CPU load was rarely above 15%, and host disk
access was almost absent. ISO version was as specified in the
procedure, but further in the procedure is the wrong version (easy to
correct).

Some notes:
1) I tested this on Fedora_35 with the latest qemu 6.1 release.
2) The procedure specified system-arm, that does not exists (anymore). I
used aarch64. I specified 4G memory, 4 CPUs.
3. I did not do anything from that procedure regarding networking.
Fedora has by default a bridge device setup, and it simply worked,
looked fast too (not measured). I did see it going out during the
install, and network detection and dhcp was very quick.
4. I did follow his procedure regarding the cdrom, but it is possible
this later qemu version has a working cdrom device. TODO.
4. During the install near the end I was asked if I wanted to install
some extra utilities, but it failed when I tried it. In the end, the
qcow2 diskfile was 1.6G, quite small.
5. To extract the boot kernel and initrd I did not use sudo as
specified with virt-copy-out, failed for some reason. Without sudo it
was fine. His command virt-ls was nowhere to be found (not in the
package manager), but during the install I noted the exact version
numbers and used those.
6. After installation the system restarted itself, but because the
qemu parameters were still those from the original start, it came back
to the installer. I just killed it.
7. When starting the system with the supplied example (with adapted
kernel/initrd numbers) and 4G memory, it starts fine to a cmd prompt.
But networking does not work. Possibly it will if I use the same
networking parameters as when doing the install. Even ifconfig was not
there.
8. When using virt-manager, you can create a new VM (in virt-manager)
from an existing OS image (the .qcow2 file in this case). But it boots
an UEFI (and that doesn't react to kbd entries, likely because unlike
a PC boot, it cannot setup kbd/mouse for this "virt" VM), and apparently
the image is not set up for that. But it does generate a .xml file with
lots of details, more than specified on the cmd line from the
instructions. I suspect I can modify it to not use an UEFI firmware
file and associated nvram file (this is how it works normally), but use
directly the supplied kernel/initrd.

So, quite nice so far. Networking next, else this is unusable for
testing (the building of) an ARM version of CinGG.
Is there no video-like device anywhere in this "virt" arm machine?
Shouldn't one be able to have an "headless" Debian with a GUI terminal
on the remote end (in this case the host)?

MatN