[Cin] Formats and Codecs in CinGG

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 04:32:38 CET 2021

Den 21.11.2021 03:28, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu:

> On Sunday, November 21, 2021, Terje J. Hanssen via Cin
> <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org <mailto:cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>> wrote:

>     As known a Blu-ray player device need a standard Blu-ray disc
>     directory structure (bdwrite) for playback, i.e
>
>     tree -h bd_20161216-153642
>
>     bd_20161216-153642
>     ├── [183M]  bd.m2ts
>     ├── [ 394]  bd.sh
>     ├── [191M]  bd.udfs
>     ├── [5.3K]  bd.xml
>     └── [4.0K]  udfs
>
>     1 directory, 4 files

Possibly the above file tree structure on hdd isn't complete as on the
BD .........(should include BDMV ...)

>     While DVD use MPEG-2, I cannot see MPEG-2 with high bitrate for SD
>     DV (or HDV) on Blu-ray is possible?
>

> well, you can try to create mpeg2 m2ts profile and temporarily replace
> usual h264-based ones.. if this experiment resulted in working BD disk
> - we probably can add checkbox or menu selecting specific codec. Just
> bitrate for mpeg2 must be much higher for same quality at given
> resolution (saw 40 mbit/s fullhd file) , and blu-ray has  hard limit
> on bitrates it can handle (from memory: around 25 mbit/s) ..

I add some more info to this part:

Re. BD-R bit rate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Bit_rate
BD drive speeds/Data rate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Drive_speeds

In comparison
DV:  25 Mbps (compression 5:1)
DVD max 9.8 Mbps (SD, MPEG-2/MP at ML)
HDV 1080i: 25 Mbps (MPEG-2/MP at H-14)

-------------

info of interest from Vegas Pro manual (2020):
https://dl03.magix.com/manual_vegaspro18_en_eij3hp.pdf
page 478:
Media File Settings for Blu-ray Disc Projects
You can burn Blu-ray Disc projects to BD recordable discs using the BDMV
format:
A 25 GB single-layer BD recordable disc can store approximately 3 hours,
42 minutes of AVC video (15
Mbps) or 2 hours, 15 minutes of MPEG-2 video (25 Mbps).
A 50 GB dual-layer BD recordable disc can store approximately 7 hours,
25 minutes of AVC video (15
Mbps) or 4 hours, 31 minutes of MPEG-2 video (25 Mbps)
page 459:
You can store large amounts of standard-definition MPEG-2 video on a BD
disc. (page 459)

Some other related stuff:
Can you make a Blu-Ray with MPEG2 format?
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/291094-Can-you-make-a-Blu-Ray-with-MPEG2-format#post1767840
Basic Guide for HDV to Blu-Ray.
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/284836-Basic-Guide-for-HDV-to-Blu-Ray
Bitrate - 18Mbps or 25Mbps for HDV?