[Cin] Formats and Codecs in CinGG

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 01:34:25 CET 2021

----------------

>> I think I have tested both methods, mostly in 2016/2017, and just a
>> few later. (Beside I have digitized several analog S-video to DV
>> video files and recorded them to BD-R data discs as backup. I have at
>> least 20-30 of each Hi8 and HDV tapes left).
> So let me understand the workflow:
> 1- import the DV files into the PC with firewire (what do you use?)

Well, I do an attempt:

Analog Hi8    S-Video          S-Video
tape player ------------> TBC -----------> A/D-conv.
(1992)                                                 + DV/HDV HDD
Firewire    PC
                                            Firewire    rec/player
------------> DV/M2T
                           HDV tape player --------->
                               (2007)

The A/D converter is built-in the stand-alone DV/HDV HDD recorder/player
device is connected with Firewire and mounted on Linux fs file copying
similar like an external harddisk.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/newsLetter/Datavideo-DN-300.jsp

With digital DV or HDV tape camcorder/players only, the most usual on
Linux has been to connect players via firewire directly to PC firewire
port, and use 'dvgrab' on Linux to capture files from tape.
https://www.linuxlinks.com/dvgrab/

--------------------

> 2- Create a new project in CinGG using the DV/HDV presets.
> 3- Upload the files to CinGG.
> 4- Use "Create BD" for BD authoring

I don't think it matters, but we probably used Batch render with m2ts
https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/CinelerraGG_Manual/DVD_Bluray_Creation.html

> 5- Burn the structured files to a BD-R disc (directly from CinGG or
> outside of it?).
> Is this correct?
>
> Thanks for all this info on topics I didn't know about!

The procedure as described in the manual section above, includes also to
create a file system dependent of the disc type, BD-R (growiso) or BD-RW
(preformat + udfs)

-------------

Possibly Phyllis can confirm if a summary 'Create BD procedure' will be
similar to the related 'HDV to Blu-ray' procedure as follows?
https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/CinelerraGG_Manual/HDV_on_Blu_ray_Disc_Without.html

HDV on a Blu-ray Disc Without Re-encoding

An MTS file is a video file saved in the high-definition (HD) MPEG
Transport Stream video format, commonly called AVCHD. It contains HD
video compatible with Blu-ray disc format and is based on the MPEG-2
transport stream. MTS files are often used by Sony, Panasonic, Canon and
other HD camcorders. Legal input for Video – MPEG1VIDEO, MPEG2VIDEO,
H264; Audio – MP1, MP2, AC3, AC3PLUS, DTS, TRUHD.

For creating a blu-ray disc, if you have HDV MPEG-2 media that is in
blu-ray format, you can save the original quality of your work, rather
than rendering it to another format. Follow the steps below directly
instead of going through CINELERRA-GG. It has been tested on 10
different MTS files.

du -sb /yourHDVfile.MTS        # Determine the size of your file in bytes.
blocks=((size-in-bytes/2048 + 4096))    # Convert bytes into blocks + a
little more.
mkudffs /tmp/newfilename.udfs blocks    # Create a file with that \# of
blocks + some extra.
mount -o loop /tmp/newfilename.udfs /mntX          # Use a mount point
like mntX that is not in use.
/<cinelerra_installed_path>/bin/bdwrite /mntX /tmp/yourHDVfile.MTS   #
Substitute \CGG{} path.
umount /mntX                # You must unmount the udfs filesystem
growisofs -Z /dev/bd=/tmp/newfilename.udfs   # Replace /dev/bd with your
bluray hardware device.
OR  dd if=/tmp/newfilename.udfs of=/dev/bd bs=2048000   # if using
rewritable blu-ray; replace bd.