[Cin] offtopic: Digitize and record Audio via Line-In Jack or via USB adapter?

mat mnieuw at zap.a2000.nl
Wed Oct 6 22:57:02 CEST 2021

On Wed, 2021-10-06 at 21:05 +0200, Terje J. Hanssen via Cin wrote:
> To complement my last post above:
>
> I discovered the recordings with the second program above,
> 'audio-recorder' were 'fake files' quiet without sound when playback
> with vlc or other programs. Loaded in Audacity showed only straight
> lines. Possibly there is some gstreamer related issue on my current
> system, because a warning complained about missing gstreamer plugin,
> when I tried to save audio as mp4. However, I don't care to debug
> this
> program issue for now.

Saving is different from recording. If you have set up Audacity for
PulseAudio, then while you are sending in a signal, look at the
pavucontrol input devices tabs, if you see the signal coming in. Click
the "fallback" icon if needed.

> The audio clips recorded with 'gnome-sound-recorder' worked fine.
> For one or another reasen I had to unplug the usb connection from
> UFO202, before playback sound could be heard in speakers and
> earphones
> plugged to the mobo backpanel jacks.

That is normal. If you plugin an USB soundcard, PulseAudio switches to
that as the default input/output. In pavucontrol you can select which
becomes the ative one, click on the "set as fallback" icon. I have to
do that also when I plug it in.

MatN