[Cin] HDV with PCM audio as Blu-ray video burned to BD-RE discs

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 22:15:07 CET 2022

вт, 6 дек. 2022 г., 23:41 Terje J. Hanssen <terjejhanssen at gmail.com>:

> [...]
> control
>

> https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/CinelerraGG_Manual/Blu_ray_from_Multiple_CINEL.html
>

> not sure what will happen if you add like 20 titles this way - screen area
> will overflown by title names?
>

> Yes, there is something to explore. The manual sample screen seems to be
> selectable human info titles that points to the clips.
>
> To be sure we talk about the same thing, I will detail this sample case a
> bit.
>
> The Blu-ray video disc's root directory contains the following tree
> structure:
>

> terje at localhost:/run/media/terje/LinuxUDF> ls
> BDMV  CERTIFICATE
>
> terje at localhost:/run/media/terje/LinuxUDF> tree -h BDMV
> BDMV
> ├── [  40]  AUXDATA
> ├── [ 332]  BACKUP
> │   ├── [  40]  BDJO
> │   ├── [  92]  CLIPINF
> │   │   └── [7.3K]  00000.clpi
> │   ├── [ 124]  index.bdmv
> │   ├── [  40]  JAR
> │   ├── [ 110]  MovieObject.bdmv
> │   └── [  92]  PLAYLIST
> │       └── [ 212]  00000.mpls
> ├── [  40]  BDJO
> ├── [  92]  CLIPINF
> │   └── [7.3K]  00000.clpi
> ├── [ 124]  index.bdmv
> ├── [  40]  JAR
> ├── [  40]  META
> ├── [ 110]  MovieObject.bdmv
> ├── [  92]  PLAYLIST
> │   └── [ 212]  00000.mpls
> └── [  92]  STREAM
>     └── [2.1G]  00000.m2ts
>
> 12 directories, 9 files
>

> The last line contains the video itself with file name '00000.m2ts'
> This corresponds to my single video clip 'hdv01_m2t_pcm_bluray.mts' from
> bdwrite /mnt/test hdv01_m2t_pcm_bluray.mts
>
> HDV and also DV (SD) requires ca 13 GB disc space pr hour (from a recorded
> 60 minutes tape). That is a 46 GB BD50-DL optical disc have space for about
> 3.5 hours HDV or DV video.
>
> When HDV.m2t or DV (digitized from Hi8 analog tapes) are transfered to the
> Datavideo DN-300 disk recorder, the video is auto splitted in 2,0 GB named
> clips. A sample of DV clips and naming from two Hi8 tapes archived on
> optical BD data discs:
>
> /video/DV> du -h dv01* dv02*
> 2,0G    dv01.dv
> 2,0G    dv01_01.dv
> 2,0G    dv01_02.dv
> 2,0G    dv01_03.dv
> 2,0G    dv01_04.dv
> 2,0G    dv01_05.dv
> 2,0G    dv01_06.dv
> 389M    dv01_07.dv
>
> 2,0G    dv02.dv
> 2,0G    dv02_01.dv
> 2,0G    dv02_02.dv
> 2,0G    dv02_03.dv
> 2,0G    dv02_04.dv
> 2,0G    dv02_05.dv
> 505M    dv02_06.dv
>
> It is these clip names it would be practical (due to archive register) to
> keep also on the playbackable, source Blu-ray video discs?

well, *I think* stream names are fixed, you can't keep streams themselves
named like your source clips/files, but there is pretty big machinery for
assembling some user accessible objects from low-level streams (all those
cpl files). I do not understand this part well enough ...

I guess modern BD players still can show you arbitrary filenames to pick
and choose but not as part of BD playback...

may be you can extract/write some metadata and stuff it as subtitle layer ?
(via tsmuxer).

because you can have few subtitle tracks in theory you can reserve one for
technical information like original filename(s), original
date/time/timecode and others as normal subtitles. So all you need is to
switch subtitles via normal for player method, and you will see either your
metadata or text subtitles (no one forces you to avoid say kdenlive for
speech-to-text pass ...). Subtitle layers seems to be respected part of
standard, so any future conversion will hopefully give you choice what to
do with all this metadata as subtitle. There are 'text' based BD subtitles
and 'image' based ones (better for complex languages like Japanese). I
think for technical info you can stick with 'text-like' version, unless of
course you visited (say) Japan and want to save some local location names.

so .... I think its time to try how well tsmuxer handles plain srt subtitle
(I think there was some issue about mixed-font style subtitles  (0) but
lets start from simpler monofont case)

(0) - https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer/issues/606

Beside additional clip info/titles could be useful.