[Cin] HDV with PCM audio as Blu-ray video burned to BD-RE discs

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 17:44:58 CET 2022

Den 11.12.2022 14:45, skrev Terje J. Hanssen:

> Den 10.12.2022 23:29, skrev Phyllis Smith:
>> As recommended by Andrew, I have checked into the GIT for the Manual
>> a new line about Audio transcode.  And a new line about calculating
>> mkudffs size as Terje requested.
>>
>>     Thanks for your experiments, hopefully Phyllis will update manual
>>     section before new year with new line about transcoding audio,
>>     while leaving video intact.
>>

> IMO that seems good so far. Just to mention I've also got succesful
> burning to BD-RE disc with dd.
>
> A 'New Year’s resolutions' could be to clean up the manual's section
> heading and beginning text, to take care of differences between HDV vs
> AVCHD,
> No wonder that this can be confusing, and I truly also earlier
> referred to wikipedia's "For consumer use, HDV-sourced video can be
> delivered on a Blu-ray Disc without re-encoding"
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDV#Distributing
> http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-hdv-and-avchd/
>

> And, an alternative could be a GUI optional route, typical using
> tsMuxer and K3b burning on Linux, which would be comparable to this
> good, old "Basic Guide for HDV to Blu-Ray" (on Windows)
> https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/284836-Basic-Guide-for-HDV-to-Blu-Ray

And here are the test case steps as a quickstart guide for the latter
(I have also tsMuxer and K3b screen shots that may be added):

1. Source HDV input video file:
     hdv01.m2t

2. Copy MPEG-2 video and transcode MP2 audio to Blu-ray LPCM and remux
to mts
     ffmpeg -i  hdv01.m2t -c:v copy -c:a pcm_bluray -mpegts_m2ts_mode 1
hdv01_m2t_pcm_bluray.mts

3. Use tsMuxer to remux the mts file and create a Blu-ray ISO file with
Blu-ray video standard UDF 2.50

Input file: /home/terje/Videoklipp/hdv01_m2t_pcm_bluray.mts

Output
     selected: * Blu-ray ISO
     File name: /home/terje/Videoklipp/hdv01_m2t_pcm_bluray.iso

Start Muxing
It takes just 5 sec to remux and finish the blu-ray iso ready for burning

Verify file sizes
du -sh hdv01*
2,0G    hdv01.m2t
2,2G    hdv01_m2t_pcm_bluray.mts
2,2G    hdv01_m2t_pcm_bluray.iso

4. Burn the ISO to BD-RE disc K3b/Cdrecord:

K3b: Tools menu > Burn CD-image (!)
- Type of image file is not recognizable. Do you want to burn it anyway?
   Yes (repeated twice)
   Select image to burn: /tmp/hdv01_m2t_pcm_bluray.udfs
- Type of image file is not recognizable. Do you want to burn it anyway?
   Yes (repeated twice)

   Burn medium (found): Complete data BD-R
   Verify image type: Auto recognize
   Select burning Speed: 2x (for BD50-RE DL)
   Select Burning program: cdrecord
   Velg navn på plate (hovedbilde, evt. prosjekt): hdv01_m2t_pcm_bluray
   Start

5. Verify the burned disc safe compliance with Blu-ray video standard
UDF 2.5

udfinfo /dev/sr0 | grep udf
udfinfo: Warning: Device '/dev/sr0' is busy, udfinfo may report bogus
information
udfinfo: Warning: Second and third Anchor Volume Descriptor Pointer not
found
udfrev=2.50
udfwriterev=2.50

================================

tsMuxer background
==================

[Cin] tsmuxer udf 2.50 fixes landed (Dec 2021)
https://www.mail-archive.com/cin@lists.cinelerra-gg.org/msg03687.html

Installed package on Leap 15.4 from Open Build Service (OBS)

zypper se -is tsmuxer

S  | Name    | Type  | Version                                 | Arch
| Repository
---+---------+-------+-----------------------------------------+--------+-----------
i+ | tsMuxer | pakke | 2.6.16git.1613150560.a50c2c5-lp154.17.4 | x86_64
| 15.4

Package content

rpm -ql tsMuxer
/usr/bin/tsMuxerGUI
/usr/bin/tsmuxer
/usr/share/applications/tsMuxerGUI.desktop
/usr/share/doc/packages/tsMuxer
/usr/share/doc/packages/tsMuxer/README.md
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/tsMuxerGUI.png
/usr/share/licenses/tsMuxer
/usr/share/licenses/tsMuxer/LICENSE

=================

Overview from tsMuxerGUI startup window

=====================

About>

tsMuxeR – the software utility to create TS and M2TS files for IP
broadcasting as well as for viewing at hardware video players (i.e.,
Dune HD Ultra, Sony Playstation3, Samsung Smart TV and others).

tsMuxeR is open source.

Supported incoming formats:

     TS;
     M2TS;
     SIFF;
     MOV;
     MP4;
     MKV;
     Blu-ray;
     Demux option.

Supported videocodecs:

     H.264/MVC
     H.265/HEVC;
     Microsoft VC-1;
     MPEG-2.

Supported audiocodecs:

     AAC;
     AC3 / E-AC3(DD+);
     Dolby True HD (for streams with AC3 core only);
     DTS/ DTS-HD;
     LPCM.

Supported subtitle types:

     M2TS Presentation graphic stream.
     SRT text subtitles

Supported containers and formats:

     Elementary stream;
     Transport stream TS and M2TS;
     Program stream EVO/VOB/MPG;
     Matroska MKV/MKA.
     MP4/MOV.

Main features:

     3D Blu-ray support;
     UHD, HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision support;
     Automatic or manual fps adjustment while mixing;
     Level changing as well as SEI, SPS/PPS elements and NAL unit
delimiter cycle insertion while mixing H.264;
     Audio tracks and subtitles time shifting;
     Ability to extract DTS core from DTS-HD;
     Ability to extract AC3 core from True-HD;
     Ability to join files;
     Ability to adjust fps for subtitles;
     Ability to convert LPCM streams into WAVE and vice versa;
     Track language information injection into blu-ray structure and TS
header;
     Ability to cut source files;
     Ability to split output file;
     Ability to detect audio delay for TS/M2TS/MPG/VOB/EVO sources;
     Ability to remove pulldown info from stream;
     Ability to open Blu-ray playlist (MPLS) files;
     Ability to convert SRT subtitles to PGS;
     Tags for SRT subtitles support - tags for changing font, color,
size, etc.; tag's syntax is similar to HTML;
     United cross-platform GUI - Windows, Linux, MacOS.