[Cin] Creating AppImage

mat mnieuw at zap.a2000.nl
Wed Feb 9 21:52:51 CET 2022

On Wed, 2022-02-09 at 15:45 +0100, Andrea paz via Cin wrote:
> Yes, appimage uses squashfs and then compresses it with gzip or
> something else. This is done, for example, with the command:
>
> appimagetool --comp .../squashfs-root /tmp/my-appimage.appimage
>
> (see: https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit)
>
> But appimagetool is not available for all distros; for example I
> couldn't find it for Fedora. Also linuxdeploy is used to
> create/compress an appimage, but reading the manual I don't really
> understand how to do it...

linuxdeploy is basically a AppDir preparation tool. Once it is ready
with that, it calls its built-in appimage creation plugin (which I
guess is the same as appimagetool).

I tried renaming the created AppImage to have a .zip ending, then
extract it to a temp directory. All files are there, but they have lost
the executable status, so although you can run linuxdeploy with that
directory as AppDir, the resulting AppImage won't work.
How to use linuxdeploy: just use the linuxdeploy line from the
bld_appimage script.

MatN
PS I tried make-static-appimage, but so far it fails creating a running
AppImage.