[Cin] Feature discussion for linear editing

Igor BEGHETTO igorbeg at visi1.org
Mon Jan 24 10:08:22 CET 2022

Stefan wrote:
> Recently I found a very nice introduction on linear editing for
> multi-cam. I finally understood how it should work in Cinelerra GG.
> But it is not intuitive, I would like to propose two things that could
> make multi-cam editing much more user friendly.
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOMKP4Jgzw8>
>
> 1. As you can see from the video, multi-cam works by clicking on a
> Mixer. Completely counter intuitive towards anyone that works with a
> switcher (atem and likes) it adds video from the undecided point up to
> the current position when clicked on the mixer. This would be a
> feature request that I wonder why nobody asked for this: implement
> this in the opposite way. You click on a mixer A, then the timeline
> gets filled with that mixer (visible, or underwater). If you click on
> mixer B, the timeline is computed with the part 0 to timeline current
> position with Mixer A, and having Mixer B as start position.

I understand You, Stefan. Other NLE use a different workflow (see Adobe
Premiere, Lightworks). When MultiCamera was born, Cinelerra-GG didn't
have Align Mixer Feature and OpenMixers. You can see an old demo where
You can understand how it works by "hand":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49EExsRsjlY
And, I think, once You understand how it works it's not too bad.

IgorBeg