[Cin] Colors tip from forum

Andrea paz gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 11:05:54 CEST 2022

> But this will create temporary files, unlike adding it to timeline ?
I explain my idea:
Transcode originated in CinGG as support for proxies, mainly to have
non-temporary conversions that could remedy sources with seeking
problems. In fact, initially the Proxy and Transcode entries in the
manual were merged together. But in the editing world, especially in
pro programs, transcoding is mainly used to edit sources into
Intermediate, suitable for editing work. It is a fundamental part of
pre-editing work and they provide sophisticated features such as
merging high-quality external audio tracks by replacing them with
those embedded in the source, while maintaining synchronization. One
has to think that in the pro environment we have to deal with dozens
or even hundreds of sources and these all have to be processed
together automatically, before tackling the actual editing. Hence the
need for transcoding functionality.
When GG created Transcode for CinGG I asked him to also offer the
ability to choose color space as well as codec/format, but he replied
that this was not possible. Shortly thereafter he created the
ColorSpace plugin for those who needed this functionality. The trouble
with the plugin, however, is that it has to act manually on each
individual source in the timeline and not automatically on all the
sources in the Resources (pre-editing) window. This defeats its
usefulness if you have dozens and dozens of sources. I can't find the
post anymore, but a while back a user asked if it was possible to have
audio/video sync via timecode. GG provided this part of the request
but not the second part that asked for automatic replacement of the
embedded audio with the external track. He said that with this feature
CinGG would have everything needed for highly professional use.
But apart from audio, being able to choose the color space in the
resource window would mean providing true transcoding. Hence my
request to be able to put ColorSpace in the Transcode rendering
window. Let's be clear though, this is only to interest Pro users, who
tackle large projects for work. We are perfectly fine with that as
well. It's just that it would be nice to be able to have a functional
program even in pro work environments (I mean jobs for cinema,
Netflix, etc.)

PS: I don't know if it is worth asking an outside developer to work on
CinGG's color management. Adam Williams, Herman Vossler (who later
created Lumiere, precisely because of the inability to develop Cin's
code), Einar and even GG have said it is not possible. Perhaps one
could ask "Monty" Montgomery, who knows both Cin and color management
well, since he created BlueBanana.