[Cin] Colors tip from forum

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 14:35:41 CEST 2022

сб, 30 июл. 2022 г., 12:06 Andrea paz <gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com>:

> > But this will create temporary files, unlike adding it to timeline ?
> I explain my idea:
> Transcode originated in CinGG as support for proxies, mainly to have
> non-temporary conversions that could remedy sources with seeking
> problems. In fact, initially the Proxy and Transcode entries in the
> manual were merged together. But in the editing world, especially in
> pro programs, transcoding is mainly used to edit sources into
> Intermediate, suitable for editing work. It is a fundamental part of
> pre-editing work and they provide sophisticated features such as
> merging high-quality external audio tracks by replacing them with
> those embedded in the source, while maintaining synchronization. One
> has to think that in the pro environment we have to deal with dozens
> or even hundreds of sources and these all have to be processed
> together automatically, before tackling the actual editing.

Ah, thanks for explanation!

I have idea about creating gui for source-side opt files (this will enable
at least ffmpeg effects and colorspace conversions)  but obviously not sure
if I ever be able to code this.

Hence the
> need for transcoding functionality.
> When GG created Transcode for CinGG I asked him to also offer the
> ability to choose color space as well as codec/format, but he replied
> that this was not possible. Shortly thereafter he created the
> ColorSpace plugin for those who needed this functionality. The trouble
> with the plugin, however, is that it has to act manually on each
> individual source in the timeline and not automatically on all the
> sources in the Resources (pre-editing) window. This defeats its
> usefulness if you have dozens and dozens of sources. I can't find the
> post anymore, but a while back a user asked if it was possible to have
> audio/video sync via timecode. GG provided this part of the request
> but not the second part that asked for automatic replacement of the
> embedded audio with the external track. He said that with this feature
> CinGG would have everything needed for highly professional use.

You meant LTC audio timecode reading?

But apart from audio, being able to choose the color space in the
> resource window would mean providing true transcoding. Hence my
> request to be able to put ColorSpace in the Transcode rendering
> window.

Well, dvd creating window already has code to put project-long instance of
effect, but this is not our use case .....

Let's be clear though, this is only to interest Pro users, who
> tackle large projects for work. We are perfectly fine with that as
> well. It's just that it would be nice to be able to have a functional
> program even in pro work environments (I mean jobs for cinema,
> Netflix, etc.)
>
> PS: I don't know if it is worth asking an outside developer to work on
> CinGG's color management. Adam Williams, Herman Vossler (who later
> created Lumiere, precisely because of the inability to develop Cin's
> code), Einar and even GG have said it is not possible. Perhaps one
> could ask "Monty" Montgomery, who knows both Cin and color management
> well, since he created BlueBanana.

Well, last year I was inspired by fast lcms2 plugin. May be I misunderstand
speedups it provides, and probably it will not work at video framerates by
itself..but we at least can make exr background render with colorspace
changes backed in (unless we want hdr info change  dynamically with
detected light/screen characteristics at workstation place?) and then
display this via say 16 bit pbuffers provided by mesa? I tried to talk
about it to nouveau/mesa3d devs but was evidently unsuccessfull ....?

https://littlecms.com/plugin/

I think we already discovered DaVinchi Resolve uses OpenCl - openGL
interoperability to get fast color correction without moving images over
slow (for this task) bus ...but then this new Rust lang implementation of
OpenCL in mesa3d still more like testbed .... Not even in main, but living
separately in Merge Request.

Some more coordination apparently needed but ...well, it seems /me is not
right person to do it ....