[Cin] {Spam?} Re: Libaom 3.4.0

Miroslav Rovis miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Tue Jun 28 15:42:38 CEST 2022

On 220627-10:03+0200, Andrea paz via Cin wrote:
> About AV1 and ffmpeg there is also this commit:
> https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/a44fba0b5b3b4090f9238751736198ddd1f0f1d5
> For now, AV1 is not a convenient codec for me, given its poor
> performance in both decoding and encoding.
And the thread started when developer Andrew gave:
https://groups.google.com/a/webmproject.org/g/webm-discuss/c/D5kHbR8-GaU
which indeed has a lot of AV1 (case insensitive).
And it is AV1:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/AV1

I've recently had huge losses of quality with VP9 encoding directly in Cinerella, via FFmpeg of course. Once I reverted to encode to MP4, quality was fine again, and the size compared to original, smaller (well, certainly not so small as AV1, far from, though).

So I'm afraid, VP9 is unacceptably poor perfomance. (Or I have not been able to set the right options, although I tweaked quite a lot; I do want good compression, and I found no such options to retain quality while giving not very large WEBM file to publish online... To the contrary, AV1 can really really do that!)

I'm familiar enough with what AV1 codec practically entails. It's been huge computing power needed for even short encodings. Such as, the shortest of the videos (27s):
https://croatiafidelis.hr/2021/rpi-CM4/VID_20210213_150554_CM4IO_only_on_PSU_voltage_measurement_RED_LED_and_BEEPS.webm
on https://croatiafidelis.hr/2021/rpi-CM4/210213-150554.php (not all players/browsers can play it)
It's the future probably.

I only have:
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
[...]
model name      : AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G with Radeon Graphics
[...]
which is modest but is not a feeble processor.

Do these changes make any really significant speedup for encoding AV1, will there be any significanlty smaller power requirements for encoding AV1, with FFmpeg (in Cinelerra and otherwise)? Or will it be practically off the table with non-top-powerful processors like mine, for any footage that's not just very short clips?

Regards!

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia