[Cin] {Spam?} Re: Libaom 3.4.0

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 18:30:50 CEST 2022

вт, 28 июн. 2022 г., 16:41 Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr>:

> On 220627-10:03+0200, Andrea paz via Cin wrote:
> > About AV1 and ffmpeg there is also this commit:
> >
> https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/a44fba0b5b3b4090f9238751736198ddd1f0f1d5
> > For now, AV1 is not a convenient codec for me, given its poor
> > performance in both decoding and encoding.
> > --
> And the thread started when developer Andrew gave:
> https://groups.google.com/a/webmproject.org/g/webm-discuss/c/D5kHbR8-GaU
> which indeed has a lot of AV1 (case insensitive).
> And it is AV1:
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/AV1
>
> I've recently had huge losses of quality with VP9 encoding directly in
> Cinerella, via FFmpeg of course. Once I reverted to encode to MP4, quality
> was fine again, and the size compared to original, smaller (well, certainly
> not so small as AV1, far from, though).
>
> So I'm afraid, VP9 is unacceptably poor perfomance. (Or I have not been
> able to set the right options, although I tweaked quite a lot; I do want
> good compression, and I found no such options to retain quality while
> giving not very large WEBM file to publish online... To the contrary, AV1
> can really really do that!)

Well, you tried two-pass encoding? I mostly encode screencasts and there
vp9 as presented by Cingg presets works reasonably well for my limited
eyesight ..

> I'm familiar enough with what AV1 codec practically entails. It's been
> huge computing power needed for even short encodings. Such as, the shortest
> of the videos (27s):
>
> https://croatiafidelis.hr/2021/rpi-CM4/VID_20210213_150554_CM4IO_only_on_PSU_voltage_measurement_RED_LED_and_BEEPS.webm
> on https://croatiafidelis.hr/2021/rpi-CM4/210213-150554.php (not all
> players/browsers can play it)
> It's the future probably.
>
> I only have:
> # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> [...]
> model name      : AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G with Radeon Graphics
> [...]
> which is modest but is not a feeble processor.
>
> Do these changes make any really significant speedup for encoding AV1,
> will there be any significanlty smaller power requirements for encoding
> AV1, with FFmpeg (in Cinelerra and otherwise)? Or will it be practically
> off the table with non-top-powerful processors like mine, for any footage
> that's not just very short clips?

Well, speed difference said to be in 10-20 percent range relative to
previous libaom release ...so ...nothing groundbreaking?

There are supposedly faster encoders (ra1ve and svt-av1 ? ) but their
quality said to be less than libaom's ...

VDPAU is decoing-only interface, so for encoding you probably need very new
and costly intel hardware and fresh libva ..

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=VA-API-libva-2.14-Released

No sign of av1 encoding support in mesa (for AMD hardware)  so far ....