[Cin] blds/bld_prepare.sh update

Miroslav Rovis miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Thu Jun 30 15:56:46 CEST 2022

On 220629-15:33-0600, Phyllis Smith wrote:

> > It's not the Debian way to run make on a source as root, but as normal
> > user.
> >
> > I still have in my .bash_history the commands (and some logs) how I built
> > my Cinelerra, and ran only 'bld_prepare.sh' and later 'make install' as
> > root, or was it the equivalent: sudo -s <bld_prepare.sh/make install>.
> >
> > All the other commands, the Debian way, is run them as user. E.g. it's a
> > bad idea to git clone as root.
> >
> > The thing is, on Gentoo, which I don't run and don't have since several
> > years now, the packages are built and installed as root, that's fine. And
> > probably on some of the  other distros too, just not on any Debian based
> > distro.
> >
> > On no distro is it a good idea to git clone as root, I believe, and a
> > newbie reader would go it all as root when she or he reads:
> > https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/CinelerraGG_Manual/single_user_build.html
> >
> > Unfortunately I don't have enough time, else I would very gladly install
> > all the texinfo and try and send a patch for the texinfo source of the
> > documentaion.
> >
> > At this point in the email, I added Andrea to recipients of this mail now,
> > as I think I remember he works that source, but guys forgive me if I
> > misremember.
> >
> > So if I'm correct, Anrdea, should that part of the manual be rewritten?
> >
> It would be better to do as many steps as possible as an ordinary user or
> at least using "sudo" instead of as the "root" user and if *Andrea*
> thoroughly tests these and wants to update the Manual, that would be good.
> Here, we spent so many early years working on computers that to us "root"
> IS our ordinary user name !!
That must have been 1990s or even earlier? I knew no computing at all until
1997 or so... Still, that's an age ago! so many things changed.
But this is a digression. Freely forgo!
> Since I have added to the manual over time
> and always run as root, I hate to introduce steps to the manual that I have
> never tried as any user except root.
>

> > And, since I don't have time to work the source now and send patches, are
> > you interested that I write how I built and installed it, which would be a
> > good Debian way to build and install from source? In a separate topic?
> >

> Although that would be useful, I think more people just use the AppImage
> than build it from source.  More useful would be reporting bugs so that if
> a volunteer programmer comes along, they can work on those.
I can't have a say with AppImage. My way is from source.
I need to reply to Andrea's mail now.

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia