[Cin] blds/bld_prepare.sh update

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 23:33:30 CEST 2022

> It's not the Debian way to run make on a source as root, but as normal
> user.
>
> I still have in my .bash_history the commands (and some logs) how I built
> my
> Cinelerra, and ran only 'bld_prepare.sh' and later 'make install' as root,
> or
> was it the equivalent: sudo -s <bld_prepare.sh/make install>.
>
> All the other commands, the Debian way, is run them as user. E.g. it's a
> bad
> idea to git clone as root.
>
> The thing is, on Gentoo, which I don't run and don't have since several
> years
> now, the packages are built and installed as root, that's fine. And
> probably on
> some of the  other distros too, just not on any Debian based distro.
>
> On no distro is it a good idea to git clone as root, I believe, and a
> newbie
> reader would go it all as root when she or he reads:
> https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/CinelerraGG_Manual/single_user_build.html
>
> Unfortunately I don't have enough time, else I would very gladly install
> all
> the texinfo and try and send a patch for the texinfo source of the
> documentaion.
>
> At this point in the email, I added Andrea to recipients of this mail now,
> as I
> think I remember he works that source, but guys forgive me if I
> misremember.
>
> So if I'm correct, Anrdea, should that part of the manual be rewritten?

It would be better to do as many steps as possible as an ordinary user or
at least using "sudo" instead of as the "root" user and if *Andrea*
thoroughly tests these and wants to update the Manual, that would be good.
Here, we spent so many early years working on computers that to us "root"
IS our ordinary user name !!  Since I have added to the manual over time
and always run as root, I hate to introduce steps to the manual that I have
never tried as any user except root.

> And, since I don't have time to work the source now and send patches, are
> you
> interested that I write how I built and installed it, which would be a good
> Debian way to build and install from source? In a separate topic?

Although that would be useful, I think more people just use the AppImage
than build it from source.  More useful would be reporting bugs so that if
a volunteer programmer comes along, they can work on those.