[Cin] vp9 high bit depth, vp9 lossless profile

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 22:05:07 CET 2022

On Wednesday, March 9, 2022, Phyllis Smith <phylsmith2017 at gmail.com> wrote:

> so I  played around with vp9 enciding a bit more.
>>>>
>>> Tested on my laptop and the lossless file is, as expected, 15 times
>>> larger but looks better.  Thank you Andrew.
>>> Will compiling with vp9 multibit affect any loading or rendering of
>>> vp8/vp9?  I will try to check this and test it too.
>>>

>> not sure why this still not default - may be due to libvpx size or speed?
>>
> Good news.  The directory containing the libvpx code is only 4 M larger
> and the bin/cin file is just a little bigger (about 150KB if I calculated
> it correctly) with the patch in.  But I did not check the compile speed
> yet.  File size differences are in:
> 96K     ./vpx_scale/generic
> 144K    ./vpx_scale
>
> 424K    ./vp9/encoder/x86
> 4.0M    ./vp9/encoder
> 420K    ./vp9/decoder
> 68K     ./vp9/common/x86
> 1.0M    ./vp9/common
> 5.8M    ./vp9
>
> 2.6M    ./vpx_dsp/x86
> 7.0M    ./vpx_dsp
>
> There are these files that maybe can be gotten rid of in the compile if
> there are options for that if necessary later:
> 3.3M    ./docs
> 240K    ./examples
> 1004K   ./third_party/googletest
> 448K    ./tools

 I think I created small local hack fir deleting all *. o files, just run
this line from thirdparty dir after all components built successfully:

objrem:
        find . -type f -name '*.o' -delete

{from thirdparty/Makefile}

this way you will have a bit more space for building/linking cingg itself

> More good news is that 1 test rendering the same file with the enable in
> and with the enable out came out exactly the same.
> Now on to testing 0002-Remove-libavdevice ... by Andrew.

if this change does not break normal cingg input/output it may even balance
out prev. change in terms of compilation soeed and size

I wonder how much slower vp9 profiles become if you choose 10/12 bit vp9?
And how quality of encode/decode compare with normal 8bit vp9.. but this is
not urgent.

ps: you also hoped to push jp2.dfl file?