[Cin] Seconds to preroll render

Andrea paz gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com
Tue May 3 10:06:43 CEST 2022

One thing that has always bothered me is that in the transition from
an 11 year old notebook to a mid-to-high level PC, playback and
especially reverse playback always suffered from the same lags and
framerate drops. There wasn't the improvement I expected. In the
Preferences > Performance tab, I tried increasing the "Cache size"
from 256MB (default) to 4096MB without noticing any change (I have
32GB of RAM). I never touched the "Seconds to preroll renders" option,
which by default is 0.5 seconds. Now I've tried to set it to 1.0s and
the improvement in playback and reverse playback is EVIDENT!
If anyone feels like trying to take a problematic project in timeline
and increase the preroll time and then report the results, it would be
a favor to me. If the improvement is also confirmed by others I will
immediately put the tip in the manual, because it seems very important
to me.