[Cin] PreRoll in Cin Digest, Vol 43, Issue 13,

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Wed May 4 13:01:30 CEST 2022

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022, Andrea paz via Cin <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>
wrote:

> Thank you for the valuable information. I attach the result of
> heaptrack done with the system already started for 1-2 hours and with
> the system just rebooted (...cin.1185)
> [https://www.dropbox.com/s/kko33qk3gvnyni9/heaptrack.cin..tar.gz?dl=0].
> I used a 28s video (h264) with 3 transitions. I simply started
> playback and when I reached the end of the track, I started reverse
> playback. I used Cache size=8192 and Preroll=2.0s. I attach an image
> of the heaptrack graph and the link to the files obtained from
> heaptrack. I'm not very good at interpreting them, except the attached
> graph which clearly shows the transitions problem. I have a PC with
> 32GB of Ram and a swap file of 4GB (I only need it to avoid problems
> with hibernation/suspension).
>
> - Do you recommend increasing my swap file?
> - From the heaptrack results of my test, do you see any memory issues?
> And if so, can they be fixed?
> - Do you have any suggestions on how to fluidify CinGG playback,
> especially with effects and transitions?

well, canonical suggestion is to use background rendering over selected
region, I think?

but in general you can try to add '-march=native' and other
machine-specific cflags in adiition to -Ofast in cinelerra/Makefile (Ofast
applied to our scaler functions).

Also, time back Bill changed caching algo so it worked without crashing in
32-bit mode. May be we can conditionally revert those changes for 64-bit
compile...