[Cin] OpenCV, again!

Andrea paz gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com
Sun May 22 08:21:39 CEST 2022

Some time ago I had contacted the SURF developer (Herbert Bay); I
report the email exchange:

Andrea paz

"I would like to ask for clarification about the implementation of
SURF: Speeded Up Robust Features in the FindObj plugin of OpenCV,
which is used in the open source NLE software Cinelerra-GG.
(https://www.cinelerra-gg.org/).
Like all NLE programs, it can be used in an amateur way, but also to
produce videos for commercial use. The doubt is about SURF license: is
it possible to use OpenCV FindObj in Cinelerra-GG? For now an old
version is implemented from which SURF has been excluded; but I was
wondering if it is possible to use more updated versions that include
SURF."

Answer (Herbert Bay)

"Sorry, don't know. That's too long time ago and I personally didn't
implement SURF in Open CV. Here's the original source code:
https://github.com/herbertbay/SURF"

License in github:

LICENSE CONDITIONS

Copyright (2006): ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
All rights reserved.

For details, see the paper:
Herbert Bay,  Tinne Tuytelaars,  Luc Van Gool,
 "SURF: Speeded Up Robust Features"
Proceedings of the ninth European Conference on Computer Vision, May 2006
Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and
its documentation for educational, research, and non-commercial
purposes, without fee and without a signed licensing agreement, is
hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this
paragraph appear in all copies modifications, and distributions.

Any commercial use or any redistribution of this software
requires a license from one of the above mentioned establishments.

For further details, contact Herbert Bay (herbert.bay at gmail.com).

In my opinion, if the direct supervisor is not interested, it means
that he gives the green light for its use in CinGG.
In your opinion, is it better not to risk it?