[Cin] OpenCV, again!

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sun May 22 08:35:01 CEST 2022

On Sunday, May 22, 2022, Andrea paz <gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some time ago I had contacted the SURF developer (Herbert Bay); I
> report the email exchange:
>
> Andrea paz
>
> "I would like to ask for clarification about the implementation of
> SURF: Speeded Up Robust Features in the FindObj plugin of OpenCV,
> which is used in the open source NLE software Cinelerra-GG.
> (https://www.cinelerra-gg.org/).
> Like all NLE programs, it can be used in an amateur way, but also to
> produce videos for commercial use. The doubt is about SURF license: is
> it possible to use OpenCV FindObj in Cinelerra-GG? For now an old
> version is implemented from which SURF has been excluded; but I was
> wondering if it is possible to use more updated versions that include
> SURF."
>

> Answer (Herbert Bay)
>
> "Sorry, don't know. That's too long time ago and I personally didn't
> implement SURF in Open CV. Here's the original source code:
> https://github.com/herbertbay/SURF"
>

> License in github:
>
> LICENSE CONDITIONS
>
> Copyright (2006): ETH Zurich, Switzerland
> Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
> All rights reserved.
>
> For details, see the paper:
> Herbert Bay,  Tinne Tuytelaars,  Luc Van Gool,
>  "SURF: Speeded Up Robust Features"
> Proceedings of the ninth European Conference on Computer Vision, May 2006
> Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and
> its documentation for educational, research, and non-commercial
> purposes, without fee and without a signed licensing agreement, is
> hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this
> paragraph appear in all copies modifications, and distributions.
>
> Any commercial use or any redistribution of this software
> requires a license from one of the above mentioned establishments.
>
> For further details, contact Herbert Bay (herbert.bay at gmail.com).
>

> In my opinion, if the direct supervisor is not interested, it means
> that he gives the green light for its use in CinGG.
> In your opinion, is it better not to risk it?

I do not know..

there seems to be patent at least in skme countries involving Toyota (?),
and it valid until 2029...

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20090238460A1/en

Robust interest point detector and descriptor
Abstract
Methods and apparatus for operating on images are described, in particular
methods and apparatus for interest point detection and/or description
working under different scales and with different rotations, e.g. for
scale-invariant and rotation-invariant interest point detection and/or
description. The present invention can provide improved or alternative
apparatus and methods for matching interest points either in the same image
or in a different image. The present invention can provide alternative or
improved software for implementing any of the methods of the invention. The
present invention can provide alternative or improved data structures
created by multiple filtering operations to generate a plurality of
filtered images as well as data structures for storing the filtered images
themselves, e.g. as stored in memory or transmitted through a network. The
present invention can provide alternative or improved data structures
including descriptors of interest points in images, e.g. as stored in
memory or transmitted through a network as well as datastructures
associating such descriptors with an original copy of the image or an image
derived therefrom, e.g. a thumbnail image.
Classifications
 G06V10/446 Local feature extraction by analysis of parts of the pattern,
e.g. by detecting edges, contours, loops, corners, strokes or
intersections; Connectivity analysis, e.g. of connected components by
matching or filtering using Haar-like filters, e.g. using integral image
techniques
View 5 more classifications
US20090238460A1
United States

 Download PDF Find Prior Art Similar
InventorRyuji FunayamaHiromichi YanagiharaLuc Van GoolTinne
TuytelaarsHerbert BayCurrent Assignee KU Leuven Research and Development
Eidgenoessische Technische Hochschule Zurich ETHZ Toyota Motor Corp
Worldwide applications
2006 EP AT DE 2007 KR EP US WO AU KR JP 2012 US
Application US12/298,879 events
2006-04-28
Priority to EP06447060A
2007-04-30
Application filed by Toyota Motor Europe NV SA, KU Leuven Research and
Development, Eidgenoessische Technische Hochschule Zurich ETHZ
2009-09-24
Publication of US20090238460A1
2012-04-24
Application granted
2012-04-24
Publication of US8165401B2
Status
Active
2029-04-13
Adjusted expiration

===

FIG. 10 shows a comparison of experimental results between a method
according to the present invention and known methods. “SURF” refers to
application of the present invention. SURF 37 refers to the number of
dimensions of the descriptor used, i.e. 37, and similarly for SURF 65 and
129.

===

If I understand correctly similar patent concerns also apply to x264/x265
... should we disable them in binary (appimage) distribution of CinGG?