[Cin] Layers! (1990 demo)

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 07:29:06 CEST 2022

I often vondered how those  multiple live videos in moving wall videos were
made ... I thought they were done on VERY fast specialized machine.

Well, apparently machines were fast and soecialized, but not THAT fast.

http://positivelyatlantaga.com/1990/01/07/video-stratigraphy-working-with-multigenerational-video/

If I read this piece correctly engineers just ran video between two disks
adding layer at a time. So, a lot more labor but still working effect in
the end!

I looked at compubench 1.5 benchmark (win64, sorry for me) and while some
modern cards can composite at 300 fps not so new cards easily can drop down
10x

https://compubench.com/result.jsp?benchmark=compu15d&test=588&text-filter=&order=median&ff-desktop=true&ff-smobile=true&os-OS_X_cl=true&os-Windows_cl=true&pu-dGPU=true&pu-iGPU=true&pu-mGPU=true&pu-ACC=true&arch-x86=true&base=device

and sadly OpenCL in free drivers not  advanced enough (I monitor progress
there, sadly driver writers not very interested in writing application code
too?), and writing FAST OpenCL  code is not trivial ...

I also noticed interesting difference between how TV was made 'unser time
pressure' back in XX century, as opposed to 'graphics art' that was more
about conceptualizing and less about painting itself.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/growing-pains-the-desktop-video-identity-crisis/

Cinelerra was born more as TV tool, and I guess this explains 'weird' one
hit hotkeys.