[Cin] Issues related to Motion Plugin

Miroslav Rovis miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Sun Sep 25 15:40:41 CEST 2022

On 220925-20:08+0700, Georgy Salnikov wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2022, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
>
> > > If the user needs only a smoothed video, perhaps he should not do it with
> > > the Motion plugin. The ffmpeg's vid.stab plugin is much easier to use, it is
> > > faster, and gives very good results.
> > Huh! I'll try and see what that is. But where is it? Search
> > 'vid.stab' in ${cin_src_root}/ gives nothing.
> > So that must be what you mean.
> > But where is it in the GUI? Right click on a video track,
>
> Vid.stab is a ffmpeg plugin linked to it as an external module. Although
> this module is maintained separately, it is so useful that it is included
> perhaps in all the binary distributions of ffmpeg. As part of the ffmpeg
> binary, its filters are used from ffmpeg's command line.
>
> The corresponding vid.stab ffmpeg filters are called vidstabdetect and
> vidstabtransform, see ffmpeg's manpages.
>
> Although some ffmpeg's filters can be used inside cinelerra, vidstabdetect
> and vidstabtransform cannot. These filters are used as a two steps
> procedure: first you call ffmpeg with the vidstabdetect filter and without
> any encodings (for speed), the translation displacements will be generated.
> Then you call ffmpeg with the vidstabtransform filter followed by encoding
> codecs, the produced video will have the displacements applied. Cinelerra
> does not support such two-step calls. Therefore, it has also no GUI for this
> kind of ffmpeg filters.
Well, that's approximately what I found out in the meantime.
Plus, you've made it clearer now.

I found it in my local "man ffmpeg-all", but here it is on the
Web:
https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#vidstabdetect-1
https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#vidstabtransform-1
and it's probably been around since years and years. And I
didn't know about it. Very disappointing for me.

Thanks for pointing it out to me.

> So you firstly prepare your shaky video clips with ffmpeg, then load the
> stabilized results into cinelerra.
>
> Btw, I would recommend to use cingg's Motion stabilization in the similar
> way: adjust Motion parameters, render the corresponding part, then replace
> the shaky original with the stabilized result. It is much more convenient.
That's what I have been doing. You do seem not to have
considered that I know how to stabilize a video, as in:
https://lists.cinelerra-gg.org/pipermail/cin/2022-September/005565.html
The slow way, the Motion Plugin way.

> Georgy Salnikov
> NMR Group
> Novosibirsk Institute of Organic Chemistry
> Lavrentjeva, 9, 630090 Novosibirsk, Russia
> Phone   +7-383-3307864
> Email   sge at nmr.nioch.nsc.ru

I'm pretty confident FFmpeg can stabilize a video well, although
I haven't tried it yet. I've been using FFmpeg on a daily basis
since long years, I know how capable program it is.

Years of partial knowledge. And possibly there have been years of
sort of my own unwilling self-torture...  Because you just can't
find time to read all the manuals for all the programs that you
use...

Your info has been precious, regardless of this disappointment.
Thank you again!

Regards!

--
Miroslav Rovis