[Cin] OT: comments from youtube can be saved, too

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 22:32:05 CEST 2023

чт, 17 авг. 2023 г., 21:37 Phyllis Smith via Cin <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org
>:

> On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 5:49 AM Stefan de Konink via Cin <
> cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org> wrote:
>
>> From editing almost weekly on CinGG for complex video's I can relate to
>> the
>> comment. But more recently I noticed that the preferred editing method
>> using dailies (putting good stuff on a long linear timeline) is not how I
>> work, and likely not how many people start to edit.
>>
> Stefan has described the basic problem with CinGG -- that is "it no longer
> is how people work or start to edit".  However, that design is what worked
> in the dinosaur days of 2000 when Linux was still a "little child" and
> computer hardware was slow by today's standard.  Being "stuck" with this
> design is exactly why there are so many other NLE's out there as
> alternatives and what Olive NLE hopes to overcome.   CinGG is 1 alternative
> that fits for a specific set of users but may not be useful for everyone.

Well, infrastructure for grouped edits and gang mode and concept of master
track already exist, I think just movement themselves kinda clumsy?

kdenlive's UI implement it like this:

https://docs.kdenlive.org/en/cutting_and_assembling/right_click_menu.html

====

   -

   Set Audio Reference and Align Audio to Reference are used to align two
   clips on different tracks in the timeline base on the audio in the tracks.
   This is useful if two cameras recorded the same scene simultaneously.
   *Kdenlive* can use the almost identical audio track to align the two
   clips.

   To use this feature:
   -

      Select the clip that you would like to align *to*.
      -

      Right click, select Set Audio Reference.
      -

      Select all the clips that you would like to get aligned.
      -

      Right-click and select Align Audio to Reference.

====

so I guess technically same context menu item (new one, just placed in
track's context menu, i mean) for tracks can be utilized UI wise, with
implementation looking up audio track's gang members (video part and other
audios), auto-forming group with them, then move/deselect this group based
on calculated alignment ..? In Cinelerra as far as I understand  pieces of
timeline called "edits" and can be empty, and user-facing "clips" are
pieces (windows?) into media assets, mapped to edits? May be this creates
some confusion about how "clip-like" timeline behaviour can be implemented?
As (yet another) mode of operation, not unconditional replacement ....