[Cin] TODO lines in tex?

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 00:13:56 CEST 2023

вс, 27 авг. 2023 г., 01:01 Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu at gmail.com>:

> вс, 27 авг. 2023 г., 00:56 Stefan de Konink via Cin <
> cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>:
>
>> On Saturday, August 26, 2023 11:26:17 PM CEST, Andrew Randrianasulu via
>> Cin
>> wrote:
>> > Also, can illustrative pngs be compressed (lossy) with pngquant
>> utility? It
>> > makes paletted pngs. Not sure how various pdf viewers will react to that
>>
>> I would first suggest to find out if PNG support is even part of the
>> regular PDF options. Some suggests not, some suggest 256 colors are
>> (without transparency).
>>

> this file from ~2008 suggest pdf can have jpeg variants or zip compression
> for "streams" with some pre-filtering?
>
> https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb30-3/tb96szabo.pdf
>
> here is github:
>
> https://github.com/pts/pdfsizeopt
>
> warning, contain python 2.x
>
> there are other tools using perl + ghostscript.... Or even something with
> dotnet!

And slightly down the line:

https://gitlab.mister-muffin.de/josch/img2pdf

===
For JPEG, JPEG2000, non-interlaced PNG and TIFF images with CCITT Group 4
encoded data, img2pdf directly embeds the image data into the PDF without
re-encoding it. It thus treats the PDF format merely as a container format
for the image data. In these cases, img2pdf only increases the filesize by
the size of the PDF container (typically around 500 to 700 bytes). Since
data is only copied and not re-encoded, img2pdf is also typically faster
than other solutions for these input formats.
====

as found via this stackowerflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14220221/how-to-insert-transparent-png-in-pdf

thing is, I have no idea yet if latex2pdf can use any of this ....