[Cin] News and enhancements with CinGG/FFmpeg 6.1 ?

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 01:56:40 CET 2023

Den 01.12.2023 18:07, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu:

> пт, 1 дек. 2023 г., 20:00 Terje J. Hanssen via Cin
> <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>:
>
>     I am wondering if the news and enhancements of importance to
>     CinGG/FFmpeg 6.1 users may  be outlined, including what is ready
>     now and
>     expected upcoming next?
>
>     Something listed last month by Andrew in "ffmpeg 6.1 is out!" and by
>     Phyllis in "GIT... CinGG  changes >.FFmpeg 6.1 upgrade from 5.1. ."
>     as the News November 10th, 2023, FFmpeg 6.1 "Heaviside"
>     http://ffmpeg.org/index.html#news
>
>     -------
>
>     For  example while the AV1 codec was mentioned available for CinGG
>     already in February News 2019
>     https://www.cinelerra-gg.org/news-updates/february-news-for-release-av1-and-webp-added-via-ffmpeg/
>
>     AV1 looks to be an even more important improvement with FFmpeg 6.0
>     and
>     6.1, according to some selected articles below:
>
>     FFmpeg 6.0 Will Be Big With AV1 Hardware Decoding, Many Other Features
>     https://www.phoronix.com/news/FFmpeg-6.0-FOSDEM-2023
>
>     FFmpeg 6.1 Introduces AV1 Codec Integration
>     https://www.free-codecs.com/news/ffmpeg_6_1_introduces_av1_codec_integration.htm
>
>     AV1 vs. HEVC: The Codec Showdown
>     https://www.gumlet.com/learn/av1-vs-hevc/
>
>     AV1 vs. HEVC: The Codec Showdown
>     https://www.gumlet.com/learn/av1-vs-hevc/
>

> for this part you need hardware de/encoding support in GPU - so recent
> AMD or Intel. recent libva. For AMD also new mesa, most likely. Quite
> a lot of moving pieces .. someone tested at least ffmpeg's vaapi
> support on Intel, but because (from my reading of code) we do not do
> hw decoding in 10bit ... results might be less rosy than by using
> ffmpeg directly.

I don't know the AV1 hw limits, but it will be of interest to try this
codec with FFmpeg (next year)
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/AV1

So far I just verified that the current prebuild FFmpeg 6.0.1 (packman
repo) on Tumbleweed-Slowroll has AV1 Encoder support:

    ffmpeg -codecs -hide_banner | grep av1
      DEV.L. av1                  Alliance for Open Media AV1 (decoders:
    libdav1d libaom-av1 av1 av1_cuvid av1_qsv ) (encoders: libaom-av1
    librav1e libsvtav1 av1_nvenc av1_amf )
      DEAIL. wmav1                Windows Media Audio 1