[Cin] News and enhancements with CinGG/FFmpeg 6.1 ?

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 14:53:09 CET 2023

Den 10.12.2023 03:16, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu:

> вс, 10 дек. 2023 г., 04:35 Terje J. Hanssen <terjejhanssen at gmail.com>:
>

>     Den 10.12.2023 01:47, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu:
>>

>>     вс, 10 дек. 2023 г., 03:32 Phyllis Smith via Cin
>>     <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>:
>>
>>         Weird, but when I list the encoders via:  ./ffmpeg -encoders
>>         (where ffmpeg is in cinelerra's subdirectory of
>>         thirdparty/ffmpeg-6.1) qsv is not listed that I can see.
>>

>>     well, it requires intel's media SDK .... try to look at gentoo
>>     forum link I found, it lists package names.
>

>     My FFmpeg 6.0.1 (not the latest 6.1) on Tumbleweed-Slowroll has
>     currently only AV1 QSV Decoder (no encoder):
>
>         ffmpeg -codecs -hide_banner | grep av1
>          DEV.L. av1                  Alliance for Open Media AV1
>         (decoders: libdav1d libaom-av1 av1 av1_cuvid av1_qsv )
>         (encoders: libaom-av1 librav1e libsvtav1 av1_nvenc av1_amf )
>          DEAIL. wmav1                Windows Media Audio 1
>

>     _Notice_:
>     All Intel GPU media users are encouraged to switch to VPL to take
>     advantage of hardware capabilities as soon as they become available.
>     The switch to VPL from Media SDK in FFMPEG, is simple. Just
>     substitute ‘--enable-libvpl’ instead of ‘--enable-libmfx’
>     https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/onevpl-in-ffmpeg-for-great-streaming-on-intel-gpus.html#gs.1xy8fq

Additional urls related to oneAPI - oneVPL and VA-API on LInux

    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/how-to-choose-video-processing-software.html
    https://spec.oneapi.io/onevpl/2.3.1/index.html
    https://spec.oneapi.io/onevpl/2.3.1/appendix/VPL_apnds_e.html

> oh, update treadmill running again!
>
> Anyway for AV1 on A380 I found this post:
>
> https://forum.jellyfin.org/t-arc-a380-qsv-hwa?page=2
>
> it was working at the end but was picky about configuration options
> ...... in september 2023  or so.
>
> so, you can't be sure it works just because wiki lists it as supported :(

Yes, I think we may be in some early stage while things mature.

To another Jelly user question about Vaapi vs QSync - performance
difference, it was estimated that QSV can be 10~20% faster than VAAPI
https://www.reddit.com/r/jellyfin/comments/y7k70s/vaapi_vs_qsync_performance_difference/?rdt=62899