[Cin] Prepping HW upgrade options for AV1 de-/encoding

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 14:13:43 CET 2023

Den 08.12.2023 23:56, skrev Terje J. Hanssen:

> Den 08.12.2023 12:50, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu:
>>

>> пт, 8 дек. 2023 г., 13:57 Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu at gmail.com>:
>>

>>     пт, 8 дек. 2023 г., 13:37 Terje J. Hanssen via Cin
>>     <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>:
>>

>>         Den 03.12.2023 22:29, skrev Terje J. Hanssen:
>>>         Already touched this topic barely in another thread
>>>         https://lists.cinelerra-gg.org/pipermail/cin/2023-December/007346.html
>>>
>>>         But so many SW and HW pieces are mentioned around, it is
>>>         almost a full-time reading and study:
>>>         VAAPI, MESA, VULKAN, Intel Quick Sync Video etc......
>>>
>>>         I realize my aging hardware which is fast enough for other
>>>         tasks, needs some "AV1 upgrade", if possible.
>>>
>>>         But first I wonder, what is expected possible to do (obtain)
>>>         with AV1 de-/encoding on my existing 64bit hardware:
>>>
>>>             1) laptop 2018: Dell XPS 13-9370: quad core i7-8550U CPU
>>>             (8. gen Kabylake) and Intel UHD Graphics
>>>
>>>             2) WS infinity: MSI Z170A mobo:  quad core i7-6700K CPU
>>>             (6. gen Skylake), NVIDIA GeForce GT-730 graphics
>>>

>>>         A budget friendly first "AV1 HW upgrade" of the workstation
>>>         2) if possible, would be to add a new GPU as Intel Arc A380.
>>>         But the question is if this will work at all on that much
>>>         older (2015) Skylake platform with i7-6700K CPU?
>>>         I've seen CPU bottlenecks has been mentioned and that Arc
>>>         A380 is targeted at newer generations CPU ...
>>
>>         Extracted from the first wikipedia reference below about
>>         Intel Alchemist GPUs:
>>
>>           * Featuring 8 Xe-cores, the*A380 supports PCI Express 4.0*
>>             and has a total board power (TBP) of 75W. The graphics
>>             card is equipped with 6GB GDDR6 memory and a graphics
>>             memory interface of 96 bits, providing a memory bandwidth
>>             of 186GB/s.
>>           * Bus interface A380:         PCIe 4.0 x8 and for >=A580:
>>             PCIe 4.0 x16
>>
>>         That is, the keyword here seems to be PCIe 4.0 bus speed as a
>>         requirement to utilize the Arc A380 GPU for HWA AV1 encoding
>>         (maybe also for other GPUs?)
>>

>>     well, despite so much time spend looking at dev process for
>>     mesa3d I still do not know full details and media encoder
>>     process. But isn't it like putting uncompressed frame in vram (as
>>     long as you have enough of it - so probably n raw frames between
>>     keyframe ideally?) let media engine chw on it, pull resulting
>>     compressed bitstream out of vram via pci-express?
>>
>>     So I speculate pcie bandwidth in itself will only matter if you
>>     compress both big frame size and long keyframes, so dma engine on
>>     card must constantly pump new raw frame data via bus.
>>
>>     I saw some mention of big (resizeable) BAR as requirement for
>>     good performance, but opengl/vulkan IMO a bit different because
>>     they send often big amount of tiny objects (vertices) via bus for
>>     each frame. But may be default 256 Mb in size bar feels a bit
>>     small for sending like 1 second of 25 4k frames (300 mb/s)?
>>

> Nothing would be better than that A380 does work with older PCIe 3.0
> motherboards and CPUs and without too much decrease in performance.

Then I got the following reply to my support request from ASRock TSD
regarding
https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/Intel/Intel%20Arc%20A380%20Challenger%20ITX%206GB%20OC/index.asp

    Skylake platform does not match the system minimum requirements.
    Please refer to the below link for further information.
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091128/graphics.html