[Cin] AV! codec and Vaapi

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 18:11:52 CET 2023

> I open a new thread on av1_vaapi because the other one is only about
> Intel drivers.

Thank you, Andrea,  for starting a new thread and a reminder to myself and
others that if your reply is not related to the Subject line, it is best to
start a new thread.  Otherwise, I am having a hard time finding something
when I need to get back to it !

I put the results of my system ffmpeg and CinGG's internal ffmpeg.

> $ ffmpeg -encoders | grep av1
>  V....D libaom-av1           libaom AV1 (codec av1)
>  V....D librav1e             librav1e AV1 (codec av1)
>  V..... libsvtav1            SVT-AV1(Scalable Video Technology for
> AV1) encoder (codec av1)
>  V....D av1_nvenc            NVIDIA NVENC av1 encoder (codec av1)
>  V..... av1_qsv              AV1 (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration)
> (codec av1)
>  V....D av1_amf              AMD AMF AV1 encoder (codec av1)
>  V....D av1_vaapi            AV1 (VAAPI) (codec av1)
>  A....D wmav1                Windows Media Audio 1
>
> $ /home/paz/cinelerra5/cinelerra-5.1/thirdparty/ffmpeg-6.1/ffmpeg
> -encoders | grep av1
>  V....D libaom-av1           libaom AV1 (codec av1)
>  V....D av1_vaapi            AV1 (VAAPI) (codec av1)
>  A....D wmav1                Windows Media Audio 1
>   I see that Phyllis'
> system has only two libraries for av1 and all the others are missing.

Now it makes sense after Andrea's research in explaining this in more
detail.  Yes, my libva is out of date because my O/S is old, but on a
duplicate laptop with a partition loaded with current Fedora 38, I do see
av1_vaapi as an encoder.

> I am attaching a new version of the preset for av1_vaapi, but there
> are many conditions for it to work: you have to install CinGG
> (appimage is no good, unless you know how to open and recreate it);
> new generation GPU (Nvidia 4000; AMD Radeon 7000; Intel Xe 2 or Intel
> Arc); system with updated libva (possibly Rolling...). If anyone meets
> the requirements, I would like to know if the preset works or what
> errors it gives. I used average options between quality and speed but
> could not test them because I lack the right hardware.

I did verify that the attached render formats have correct values, even
though I lack the right hardware too, by just adding garbage onto each line
which then generates an error message (also, changed encode.opts in the
above directory to "loglevel=verbose").  This verifies that it does process
the parameters for correctness before it fails on the hardware.  So I will
be checking these into GIT -- the user can easily change values to suit
their needs.

Too many of the newest speed-ups are so hardware dependent which is so
varied for everyone.  Not too many people want to update their graphics
board all of the time at $500 or so a pop and then struggle with updating
the software too.