[Cin] Prepping HW upgrade options for AV1 de-/encoding

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 01:23:30 CET 2023

ср, 13 дек. 2023 г., 19:02 Terje J. Hanssen <terjejhanssen at gmail.com>:

> Den 11.12.2023 14:23, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu:
>

> пн, 11 дек. 2023 г., 16:13 Terje J. Hanssen via Cin <
> cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>:
>

>> Den 08.12.2023 23:56, skrev Terje J. Hanssen:
>>

>> Den 08.12.2023 12:50, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu:
>>

>> пт, 8 дек. 2023 г., 13:57 Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu at gmail.com>:
>>

>>> пт, 8 дек. 2023 г., 13:37 Terje J. Hanssen via Cin <

>>> well, despite so much time spend looking at dev process for mesa3d I
>>> still do not know full details and media encoder process. But isn't it like
>>> putting uncompressed frame in vram (as long as you have enough of it - so
>>> probably n raw frames between keyframe ideally?) let media engine chw on
>>> it, pull resulting compressed bitstream out of vram via pci-express?
>>>
>>> So I speculate pcie bandwidth in itself will only matter if you compress
>>> both big frame size and long keyframes, so dma engine on card must
>>> constantly pump new raw frame data via bus.
>>>
>>> I saw some mention of big (resizeable) BAR as requirement for good
>>> performance, but opengl/vulkan IMO a bit different because they send often
>>> big amount of tiny objects (vertices) via bus for each frame. But may be
>>> default 256 Mb in size bar feels a bit small for sending like 1 second of
>>> 25 4k frames (300 mb/s)?
>>>

>> Nothing would be better than that A380 does work with older PCIe 3.0
>> motherboards and CPUs and without too much decrease in performance.
>>

>> Then I got the following reply to my support request from ASRock TSD
>> regarding
>>
>> https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/Intel/Intel%20Arc%20A380%20Challenger%20ITX%206GB%20OC/index.asp
>>
>> Skylake platform does not match the system minimum requirements.
>> Please refer to the below link for further information.
>>
>> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091128/graphics.html
>>
>> well, if you can get card for brief (two weeks?) testing and return if it
> really does not work - it will be better than leaning on official answer,
> IMO.
>
> after all, Intel, like any company tries to sell you a bridge .....
>

> Yes, they always want to sell new hardware and do not want to support
> older boxes longer than required.
> So I may give it try on the new year. The point is to get av1 encoding to
> faster with gpu hwaccel, even if it seems to be limited to about 75% speed:
>
> Today I also got confirmed from MSI technical support:
>
> BIOS of Z170-A Pro MB doesn’t have Resizable (Re-Size) BAR support, the
> mainboard doesn’t support Intel Arc A380 GPU.
> For the MB that support Resizable BAR(Re-Size BAR), please find the
> Intel/AMD chipse
>
> https://www.msi.com/news/detail/MSIIsReadyToSupportResizableBARReSizeBARForNVIDIAGeForceRTX30SeriesGPUs121336

This is Reddit so take it with mountain of salt, but

https://www.reddit.com/r/AV1/comments/17pv7gu/whats_your_intel_arc_hw_av1_encoding_speeds/

==== quote ====

r/AV1 <https://www.reddit.com/r/AV1/> 1 mo. ago
SeaOfTorment <https://www.reddit.com/user/SeaOfTorment/>
Whats your Intel Arc HW AV1 Encoding speeds?

Hello! I recently got an Asrock Intel Arc A380 Low Profile 6GB card and the
first thign I did when i get it, I replaced my gpu with it to test the
encoding speed, I installed all the arc drivers (Intel Driver Assistance
did everything), restarted and went to handbrake, selected screen recording
I recorded with H264 using Geforce Shadowplay, select AV1 QSYNC (or
something like that), I selected quality and the encoding speed was about
45-60, I've tested other A380s that require vga power using cable and
they've had speeds of like 140-160, what gives? I want to compare mine with
other people, currently I don't have rebar enabled and the pcie lane speed
is pcie x8 3.0, i've tested a380s with identical systems and got 140-160
just fine, I do have nvidia drivers too in the same system, but I doubt
it's that.

==== quote end.

And other users reported up to 250 fps on 1080p transcode. 70 fps is for 4k.

I guess this was on Windows machine.

So *may be* resizeable PCIE bar is not as hard requirement as it touted to
be?

it also interesting to see that your machine already can go quite fast with
SVT-AV1 in software mode.

{snip}