[Cin] 10-bit 422 Video capture not part of the UVC spec?

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 21:00:31 CET 2023

Den 10.02.2023 17:28, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu:

> [...]
>>         Color Explained (millions/banding vs billion shades):
>>         https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/series/the-filmmakers-handbook/8-bit-or-10-bit-video-color-explained/
>>

>>         2. In a couple of learn.microsoft articles, 10- and 16-bit
>>         YUV Video Formats are recommended for capturing, processing,
>>         and displaying video, while 8-bit YUV color formats that are
>>         recommended for video rendering. To extract and learn the
>>         most relevant YUV formats in this context from the table
>>         https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/medfound/10-bit-and-16-bit-yuv-video-formats#preferred-yuv-formats
>>
>>             YUY2     4:2:2 Packed     8 bits pr channel
>>             Y210     4:2:2     Packed 10
>>             NV12     4:2:0     Planar 8
>>             P010     4:2:0     Planar 10
>>
>>         3. So I found an interesting discussion on the Digital
>>         Photography Review forum:
>>         Cheapest (and decent) way to record 10 bits HDMI on Windows?
>>         https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4562209
>>
>>         Extract here an interesting section from the first reply of
>>         Mar 19, 2021:
>>
>>             It almost looks like 10-bit may not be part of the UVC
>>             specs unless the device does hardware H.264 or HEVC
>>             decoding, there are no 10-bit color formats that appear
>>             in
>>             https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/drivers/media/usb/uvc/uvcvideo.h?h=v5.11.7
>>             such as p010, and I would expect that if the UVC spec
>>             supported p010 video it would have appeared in the Linux
>>             kernel by now.
>>

>>     Isn't such question more for Maintainer?
>>
>>     "USB VIDEO CLASS
>>     M:	Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com>
>>     L:	linux-media at vger.kernel.org
>>     S:	Maintained
>>     W:	http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/
>>     T:	git git://linuxtv.org/media_tree.git  <http://linuxtv.org/media_tree.git>
>>     F:	drivers/media/usb/uvc/
>>     F:	include/uapi/linux/uvcvideo.h
>>     "
>>
>>     from
>>     https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/MAINTAINERS
>>
>>     I looked at (hopefully) uvc spec, but mostly for interlace info
>>
>>     https://www.spinelelectronics.com/pdf/UVC%25201.5%2520Class%2520specification.pdf
>>
>>     I'll look for guid info some more..
>>

>>         If someone can confirm this is the case also today, we don't
>>         need to search for cheap or inexpensive HDMI-USB3 Video
>>         capture stick/dongles with 10-bit 422 output support.
>>

>     What I meant to say is that (my thought ) 8-bit YUY2 output
>     support seems to be the current limit of HDMI-USB3 Video Capture
>     sticks like in the new ms2130.
>     I saw that the (previous) USB2 model that still was announced in
>     parallell didn't support YUY2. But I expect this is just a
>     question of time as the chip technology evolves - so maybe the
>     next model and UVC then get 10-bit support(?)
>

> may be, I tried to fwd Laurent's answer to both cin list and
> linux-media, just kernel list reject html quotation (?) mobile gmail

Thanks, you have been busy :)

>>         Down In the same thread also some high-priced UVC compliant
>>         devices are mentioned, but they tend to support 10-bit on
>>         HDMI input and so downscale it to 8-bit on USB3 output.
>>

>>     Apparently hacked Cx driver can output 16 bits as ADC, but then
>>     we have question of feeding it with good enough signal
>>     (vhs-decode just vampires into VCR guts.)
>>
>>     Is any real external vhs (ish) sources worth 10 bits path?
>
>     There have been discussions about that. VHS/Video8 is low-end
>     composite video, while S-Video (2) and Component Video (3) are
>     better. But cheap ADC to HDMI adapters, sadly also often with
>     missing technical specs, most probably at best output 8-bit(?) At
>     least here 8-bit YUY2 ms2130 may fit well.
>     Digital cameras with direct HDMI output on the other hand may
>     utilize 10-bit.

By the way, I'll return the unuseable Hama HDMI to USB3 capture stick,
and have ordered a new ms2130. To halph the price I expect the latter
works twice as well :)
Estimated delivery date by the end of next month, though. Then also the
companion ADC adapter should have arrieved.

In the meantme I'll have work enough to continue and fullfill the rest
of my S-video to DV recorder path.

> yeah .. sdi-usb3 probably can face 10-bit signal at receiving end too
> .... but so far it seems video enthusiasts (ones who buy 400$+ gear +
> all additional devices) and Linux enthusiasts (who like to punch some
> code in) not crossed each other paths, at least in public ....

Sooner or later I'll also give the BMD 10-bit path: Analog to SDI
miniconverter + Hyperdeck shuttle 2, another try, due to the expected
firmware issue a year ago
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=153772