[Cin] Capturing DV/HDV via Firewire

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 16:24:54 CET 2023

IEE 1394 / FireWire (Apple) / i.LINK (Sony) has been a standard
connection to transfer native DV and HDV video files to Lin/Win/Apple
computers.

  * FireWire DV/HDV recording should still work via dvgrab, vlc,
    guvcview, OBS and ffmpeg etc., or directly via some NLE systems.
  * The basic dvgrab tool is still valid on Linux and was mentioned in
    the Cin-CV wiki sect. 19.2
  * http://cinelerra-cv.wikidot.com/cincv-manual-en:capturing-media#5

  * ffmpeg enabled FireWire DV/HDV input device using libiec61883
    (Streamcopy) seems also interesting.

    On my Leap 15.4 or Tumbleweed, ffmpeg-5 is seemingly not compiled
    with  --enable-libiec61883.

    Is possibly ffmpeg available with enabled libiec61883 via Cin-GG?

    http://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-devices.html#iec61883
    http://underpop.online.fr/f/ffmpeg/help/iec61883.htm.gz

I had a look into the Cin-GG manual chpt 13 "Capturing and Recording
Media", but could not see Firewire media transfer was mentioned.
However, in the Appendice section B.2 Configuration Features, Optional
Packages is found:

    --with-firewire       use firewire (auto)
    --with-dv                use dv (auto)

Does this mean that Firewire/dv capture already is supported or optional
can be configured?

Other NLE references, Premiere Pro and Vegas respectively
https://helpx.adobe.com/no/premiere-pro/using/capturing-dv-or-hdv-video.html
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/support/article/capturing-video-from-a-sony-camcorder--222/

Terje J.  H