[Cin] Working on adding GPL license attribution for all program files

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 03:40:32 CET 2023

чт, 5 янв. 2023 г., 05:24 Phyllis Smith <phylsmith2017 at gmail.com>:

> Well, in HV I see guicast files under GPL-2 OR later, not lgpl. There is
>> some difference and I am not sure what is best.
>>
> Not sure what you mean?  The GPL message I added says "either version 2
> ...  or ... later"  -- does not GPL-2 mean version 2?

I mean LGPL is Library GPL a bit differently type of license from just GPL .

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.en.html

"The GNU Project has two principal licenses to use for libraries. One is
the GNU Lesser GPL; the other is the ordinary GNU GPL. The choice of
license makes a big difference: using the Lesser GPL permits use of the
library in proprietary programs; using the ordinary GPL for a library makes
it available only for free programs."

I think Adam hopes for wider use of guicast as GUI library, so files there
(as of now) LGPL. Usually exact license text derived from moment code was
imported.

So look into cin hv 4.x tree, I guess?

> Can i fwd this message to Adam, may be he will add some licensing to HV
>> git too?
>>
> Also, because whole guicast was written by Adam I think adding him as line
>> alongside Bill actually honest.
>>
> OK, no problem.  I was wondering about that, but saw that Monty did not do
> that for Blue Banana and there were other examples too.  For example, Monty
> has:
> /*
>  * Cinelerra :: Blue Banana - color modification plugin for Cinelerra-CV
>  * Copyright (C) 2012-2013 Monty <monty at xiph.org>
>  *
>  * This program is free software;

I guess because this specific file was written by him alone, not based on
HV code?

>> https://github.com/heroineworshiper/hvirtual/blob/master/guicast/bcbar.C
>>
>> I yet to confirm (likely) source of initial ffmpeg.C - commit message
>> says CV but I guess it was specific branch, not CV main.
>>
> I think that ffmpeg.C was added by Bill but it was probably derived from somewhere
> in FFmpeg code.
>

>> Also, as IgorV noticed because CinGG merged code from CV too it will be
>> honest if we add line like  "Cinelerra CV contributors, 2003-2016" ( I
>> think this is range when CV project was most active - but I need to
>> doublecheck.) to our startup message and increment cingg year to 2022 at
>> least because we still alive !
>>
> OK, no problem, but I think that Adam will object to that.

well, merges from CV into GG (But not HV) documented in git history .... so
I see no reason to complain - cingg says its own startup message, cin HV
uses their own code and  show their own message....

>> https://github.com/Akir4d/cinelerra-ak/commit/d6b64e543e8fcc185fc260a352e0a46e79f85858
>>
>> says fileffmpeg loader based on HV - 4.1 but heavily modified.
>>

>> Also, did you linked google code repo to our webpage already?
>>
> No, I thought google code repo was no longer supported? -- at least that
> is a message I thought Google put out?   What is the URL?

see my next email about fileffmpeg.C investigation.
Archive is not supported, but you still can download ~600 mb of git history
from there unavailable anywhere else (in this sense google code archive is
neutral third party)

I do not want to confuse CinGG with all of the rest of the other Cinelerra
> type repos out there -- there are 10's of them and maybe even hundreds.
>
> IMPORTANT -- I am NOT changing any currently existing GPL messages because
> there are literally thousands of them.  I am only adding messages when I
> see they are missing altogether.  For example in Guicast, I only added
> messages to the 19 files that had none -- there are 219 files in that
> directory and that is the smallest one needed to be done.
>
> I have done more than just these 19 but if the message is wrong then I
> have to do all of them over again.  Please provide the message you think I
> should add instead.

Well, I think in general template message is correct, just we need pay
attention when more than one author worked on it. You can look into
ffmpeg's sources for some examples. Dates for (c) usually not exact, but at
least year or range of years provided.

  Or correct the one below that I have added both Adam and CV to for when I