[Cin] executable stacks are bad...m-kay?

Rob Prowel rprowel at comcast.net
Wed Jan 11 10:52:18 CET 2023

Thought this went away in my Jan-2023 git pull, but apparently not.
Looked in my dmesg output and saw this again.

process 'sharebin/cingg2301/bin/cin' started with executable stack

Why?  A consequence of the plug-in system? a poorly designed 3rdparty
library? an oversight?

stack segments are generally marked as no-exec to protect against using
them to execute rogue instructions by saving those instructions in
auto-vars on the stack that could be executed by fudging the return
address of a function.

Just looking for an acknowledgement of this, and any relevant related
history at this point.