[Cin] executable stacks are bad...m-kay?

Rob Prowel rprowel at comcast.net
Wed Jan 11 22:44:45 CET 2023

On 1/11/23 07:37, Andrew Randrianasulu wrote:
> ср, 11 янв. 2023 г., 13:30 Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu at gmail.com>:
>

>> ср, 11 янв. 2023 г., 13:03 Rob Prowel via Cin <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org
>>> :
>>
>>> Thought this went away in my Jan-2023 git pull, but apparently not.
>>> Looked in my dmesg output and saw this again.
>>>
>>> process 'sharebin/cingg2301/bin/cin' started with executable stack
>>>
>>> Why?  A consequence of the plug-in system? a poorly designed 3rdparty
>>> library? an oversight?
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> I think this is due to embedding icon 'object' (lots of png files
>> concatenated) into main executable ...
>>
>> from cinelerra/Makefile
>>
>> $(THEME_DATA):
>>          cd $(OBJDIR) && \
>>          $(GUICAST)/$(OBJDIR)/bootstrap theme_data.o
>> $(TOPDIR)/picon/cinfinity/*.png
>>
>> (also I thought we hoped to optipng them, if quality not suffer ...)
>>

> can you check if something like attached patch fixes it for you?
>
> i hope it was only o file with missing GNU.stack
>
> ~/cinelerra/cinelerra-5.1 $ readelf -SW cinelerra/aarch64/*.o | grep note |
> wc -l
>    374
>                    ~/cinelerra/cinelerra-5.1 $ ls cinelerra/aarch64/*.o | wc
> -l
>   375

under my git repo the aarch64 only exists under the thirdparty tree.
when done under cinelerra/x86_64 the output yields 383 and 384

Will note that my latest build have been using clang++, but previous
used g++, and both exhibited the stack warning.

$ for i in *.o; do readelf -SW *.o | grep note $i > /dev/null;
[ $? -ne 0 ] && echo $i; done

theme_data.o

I think this is what you were looking for?

I am beginning to understand the "reason" why the problem exists.  With
the little I know about it, seems the only "fix" is a redesign of the
theme system to not encapsulate all resources in a single blob?  Is that
correct?