[Cin] executable stacks are bad...m-kay?

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 13:37:58 CET 2023

ср, 11 янв. 2023 г., 13:30 Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu at gmail.com>:

> ср, 11 янв. 2023 г., 13:03 Rob Prowel via Cin <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org
> >:
>
>> Thought this went away in my Jan-2023 git pull, but apparently not.
>> Looked in my dmesg output and saw this again.
>>
>> process 'sharebin/cingg2301/bin/cin' started with executable stack
>>
>> Why?  A consequence of the plug-in system? a poorly designed 3rdparty
>> library? an oversight?
>>

>> --
>>

> I think this is due to embedding icon 'object' (lots of png files
> concatenated) into main executable ...
>
> from cinelerra/Makefile
>
> $(THEME_DATA):
>         cd $(OBJDIR) && \
>         $(GUICAST)/$(OBJDIR)/bootstrap theme_data.o
> $(TOPDIR)/picon/cinfinity/*.png
>
> (also I thought we hoped to optipng them, if quality not suffer ...)

can you check if something like attached patch fixes it for you?

i hope it was only o file with missing GNU.stack

~/cinelerra/cinelerra-5.1 $ readelf -SW cinelerra/aarch64/*.o | grep note |
wc -l
  374
                  ~/cinelerra/cinelerra-5.1 $ ls cinelerra/aarch64/*.o | wc
-l
 375

readelf line from

https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/linkers-warnings-about-executable-stacks-and-segments

linker flag from

 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardened/GNU_stack_quickstart

note, old linkers may dislike this and also it seems clang linker (lld)
default on termux does this by default ....